Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Pageviews as an Event?

Level 4

Does it ever make sense to record "pageviews" as an event? I'm looking over an implementation where this is the case.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

Yes, there are some cases in which this is appropriate.  Prior to v15, there was no Page View metric in conversion reports so it was quite common.  Post v15, there was a Page View event so many people got rid of the extra Page View event.

However, you cannot enable PARTICIPATION on the out of the box Page View event, so if you want to use Participation for Page Views (i.e. See which pages lead to people viewing other pages), you still need a custom Page View event.  This is more common for Media sites.  If you don't want Participation on Page Views, you probably don't need this extra event...

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 6

Yes, there are some cases in which this is appropriate.  Prior to v15, there was no Page View metric in conversion reports so it was quite common.  Post v15, there was a Page View event so many people got rid of the extra Page View event.

However, you cannot enable PARTICIPATION on the out of the box Page View event, so if you want to use Participation for Page Views (i.e. See which pages lead to people viewing other pages), you still need a custom Page View event.  This is more common for Media sites.  If you don't want Participation on Page Views, you probably don't need this extra event...

Level 3

Hey Mike, we also implemented a page views as an event to unlock real time reporting for page views.

Level 4

Eric Carpenter wrote...

Hey Mike, we also implemented a page views as an event to unlock real time reporting for page views.

Because events show up in real time and traffic metrics do not?

Level 3

Both show up, but the only a few of the canned traffic metrics show up (page views was not one of the metrics that did not show up). All of our events show up in the metrics for real time.