Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Ad Hoc Analysis Metrics Add Request

Level 2

Is it possible to have "instances" available in Ad Hoc? Currently, if I want to know how many times a dimension is executed, I have only a couple of choices such as "occurrences" and this brings in too much noise. From my understanding, it brings in all clicks, downloads, etc. for the time period. However, if I breakdown the dimension by page or keyword search, it shows me the "occurrences" of those dimensions, but it adds the others as well. So, if I have 5 pages visited by a user, it will show a total of 150 occurrences instead of only 5. For reporting purposes, this total number is confusing and it's very manual for me to go through and try to clean that up after exporting to excel. If we want to make our companies move to a data-culture, we need to have the right data that reports easily to them.

Thanks for your consideration and hope to hear back from someone on whether this is possible or not? Or if someone has a suggestion for me?

Tina

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

if it's a prop then pageviews should work. traffic is all based on pageviews and it's the base metric. this assumes that the customer does something (internal search on a page or externally comes in with a search term you pickup from a url parameter) but either way you record the search term in a prop. the prop is recorded in a server s.t() server call.

If it's an s.tl() custom link call it's a bit harder and you have to use occurrences because occurrences  counts both page views and custom links. If you only want when this prop is populated via a custom link call then a calculated metric or (occurrences - page views) might help.

Or create a segment for hit when propx is populated and some other variable in the custom link call is populated differently from the page call and add that to your segment.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Employee Advisor

Thank you for reaching out to the community.

You may use "instances of evars" as metric to have the "instances" in Ad Hoc for evar reports. For Campaign, you may use Campaign Click-throughs and Page Views for props (provided they are not being set in a custom link call). Hope that helps.

best

Khurshid

Level 2

Thanks for your reply. It's a custom traffic that shows us the keyword searches. What do you suggest to use in that case?

Correct answer by
Level 6

if it's a prop then pageviews should work. traffic is all based on pageviews and it's the base metric. this assumes that the customer does something (internal search on a page or externally comes in with a search term you pickup from a url parameter) but either way you record the search term in a prop. the prop is recorded in a server s.t() server call.

If it's an s.tl() custom link call it's a bit harder and you have to use occurrences because occurrences  counts both page views and custom links. If you only want when this prop is populated via a custom link call then a calculated metric or (occurrences - page views) might help.

Or create a segment for hit when propx is populated and some other variable in the custom link call is populated differently from the page call and add that to your segment.