Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Combine Mobile site suite into our Main site suite

Level 2

Greetings,

We currently have a report suite for our mobile site and another for our main site.  I'm looking at having the devs combine the mobile traffic into our main site suite and I'm wondering if:

1.) Is this a best practice?
2.) If so, should we differentiate page names between each site?  e.g. Home Page and Home Page - Mobile
3.) should you use the e.Vars and s.props #'s for both sites?
4.) any additional pros or cons would be helpful.

I've been at 4imprint for quite some time but, never had any formal training so, take it easy on me.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor
  1. Some companies combine mobile/desktop data, others don't - it really comes down to how you want to separate or combine data. Keep in mind that there are mobile-specific reports you can utilize on all report suites.
  2. I would actually advise against differentiating page names, unless you want to keep them completely separate in general reporting. If you need mobile-specific data, you can use the default segment "Visits from Mobile Devices" to obtain any mobile-specific data. This also allows you to get aggregated data across all devices, both desktop and mobile.
  3. Yes, absolutely. If you use different eVars/props between mobile and desktop implementations, you're going to get very confusing and muddled data.

If I was personally in charge of an organization's implementation, I would have desktop and mobile data combined, using segmentation to obtain mobile-specific data. However, some companies have very specific business requirements that require their separation. Ultimately it is up to you on which to do based on how you want to get specific or aggregate data.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor
  1. Some companies combine mobile/desktop data, others don't - it really comes down to how you want to separate or combine data. Keep in mind that there are mobile-specific reports you can utilize on all report suites.
  2. I would actually advise against differentiating page names, unless you want to keep them completely separate in general reporting. If you need mobile-specific data, you can use the default segment "Visits from Mobile Devices" to obtain any mobile-specific data. This also allows you to get aggregated data across all devices, both desktop and mobile.
  3. Yes, absolutely. If you use different eVars/props between mobile and desktop implementations, you're going to get very confusing and muddled data.

If I was personally in charge of an organization's implementation, I would have desktop and mobile data combined, using segmentation to obtain mobile-specific data. However, some companies have very specific business requirements that require their separation. Ultimately it is up to you on which to do based on how you want to get specific or aggregate data.

Community Advisor

Hi Shawn,

First and foremost please check if your mobile implementation is timestamp enabled. If it is and you website does not use timestamp enabled implementation then you cannot  send the data from mobile and website in the same report suite.

Adobe analytics report suite can be set to ONLY accept data that are timestamp enabled or non-timestamp enabled and NOT BOTH at the same time.

Regarding the variables: 

1.I would advise to put different syntax for page names or set up a variable let say that will put mobile when it comes from mobile and website when it comes from website

2.Another issue that you might have is that you might not be using the evar and props for the same purpose in the mobile implementatiion and in the mobile implementation

Best regards.

Alexis Cazes