Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Need to know about behavior of cookies for OPT-IN features

Level 5

Hi All,

I have a website, where I am implementing the Opt-In feature using the Experience Cloud plugin via Launch configurations.

Here, when the user accepts to allow all cookies - all ECID cookies and app measurement cookies are set. Now, user changes their preference from accepting to denying All cookies. Here, the feature works fine. But, the ECID cookies(AMCV and AMCVs) and app measurement cookies (s_**) stay in the browser.

If the user has already said deny, then the cookies must be deleted. Is there anything, I am missing in my understanding? Please help me here.

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

As far as I understand none of the cookie management system delete cookies. What it does it set a cookie (another one) with the groups the customer has opted in. You should then evaluate these cookie to validate if you can trigger the specific product or not.

For new visitors tho as long as you do not trigger then no cookie should be set. I believe you need to set up the VISITOR ID services to be opted out by default and then at runtime read the cookie from cookie banner and enable each group of Adobe Opt in.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

As you've discovered, ECID won't delete cookies even when the user opts out later.

So you will need to delete the cookies by yourself, e.g. with a Custom Code action in a relevant rule.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

As far as I understand none of the cookie management system delete cookies. What it does it set a cookie (another one) with the groups the customer has opted in. You should then evaluate these cookie to validate if you can trigger the specific product or not.

For new visitors tho as long as you do not trigger then no cookie should be set. I believe you need to set up the VISITOR ID services to be opted out by default and then at runtime read the cookie from cookie banner and enable each group of Adobe Opt in.

Level 5

Hi, thanks for the input. I am trying to implement custom optIn, where we need to send mandatory tags, even if customer opts out.

What is happening now?

When customer opts in, cookies are set and tags are being sent. Now, when customer opts out after opting in, ECID cookies are still present and the tags are being sent along with the MID.

I have deleted the ECID cookies in the rule, when customer opts-out. The network call still has the MID for its call and disappears only after 1st network call with opt-out. 

I guess, the cookie is deleted and the s.t() call happens before the clearing of cookies - is it correct understanding?