Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Last touch channel break down with UTM campaigns gives an unspecifiec data?

Level 1

I can see last touch channel report having 15 conversion under channel Email.

But when I drill down "Email" with UTM Campaign it given an unspecified result. although all links have UTM parameter added properly.

I suspect both UTM tracking and Channel tracking are bit different but don't have any concrete statement/explanation to support this.

Please help me to understand the same.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I assume your "UTM Campaign" dimension is coming from an eVar, so the answer depends on the eVar's Allocation and Expiration.

Also, Marketing Channels are evaluated with every hit.

Assuming that your "UTM Campaign" eVar expires with "Visit", then the following could happen:

12:00pm: User enters your site via an email link. --> UTM Campaign = your email tracking code, Marketing Channel = Email.

12:05pm: User bookmarks the page, closes his browser and goes for lunch. --> Visit ends.

12:40pm: User reopens his browser. Opens the page he had bookmarked at 12:05pm. --> UTM Campaign = blank, Marketing Channel = Email (assuming that your "Direct" Marketing Channel is set to not override the last channel).

12:50pm: User converts.

In the above scenario, "Email" Marketing Channel gets 1 conversion, but UTM Campaign gets 0 conversion.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Employee Advisor

@rudra Hi Rudra, 

You can see unspecified in an evar report. It depends which metric you are using in an evar report. Below is the document that will explain in detail about unspecified.

None, Unspecified, Unknown, and Other in reporting

However, if you are trying to check how many time that evar fired. I will suggest you to please use Instances metric. As instances will show you number of times the evar fired and will not show unspecified.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I assume your "UTM Campaign" dimension is coming from an eVar, so the answer depends on the eVar's Allocation and Expiration.

Also, Marketing Channels are evaluated with every hit.

Assuming that your "UTM Campaign" eVar expires with "Visit", then the following could happen:

12:00pm: User enters your site via an email link. --> UTM Campaign = your email tracking code, Marketing Channel = Email.

12:05pm: User bookmarks the page, closes his browser and goes for lunch. --> Visit ends.

12:40pm: User reopens his browser. Opens the page he had bookmarked at 12:05pm. --> UTM Campaign = blank, Marketing Channel = Email (assuming that your "Direct" Marketing Channel is set to not override the last channel).

12:50pm: User converts.

In the above scenario, "Email" Marketing Channel gets 1 conversion, but UTM Campaign gets 0 conversion.