Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Is it possible for a hit to not have a referrer type/?

Level 2

Hello,

I was going through a custom segment and noticed that one rule was "referrer type does not exist".

1550514_pastedImage_0.png

How is this possible? I thought the referrer type was set on the first hit in a visit and persisted throughout the visit (unless the visitor leaves and come back a through a different referrer type).

The custom segment I'm reviewing was created to track internal traffic sources.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear Jerry,

Yes, 'Typed/Bookmarked' will capture the hits that came through directly i.e. Referrer is empty and didn't match internal URL Filters.

If it matches internal URL filter, the traffic will fall under 'Internal'.

If there referrer with matching Search Criteria, it will fall under 'Search Engines'.

If there referrer with matching Social Criteria, it will fall under 'Social Media'.

Else, under 'Referring Domain'.

Thank You!

Arun

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Dear Jerry,

If you type the URL in your browser or clicked on the book mark to land the URL directly, you wont have any referrer right?

So, there is possibility that s.referrer value is empty in an visit.

For internal traffic sources, it is always better to use Marketing Channel rather than Referrer.

Thank You

Arun

Level 2

Hi Arun,

Thank you for the reply. My team is currently setting up marketing channels, and they still want a traffic source for it while its being set up.

Wouldnt typed/bookmarked capture the hits that came through directly?

Thanks!

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear Jerry,

Yes, 'Typed/Bookmarked' will capture the hits that came through directly i.e. Referrer is empty and didn't match internal URL Filters.

If it matches internal URL filter, the traffic will fall under 'Internal'.

If there referrer with matching Search Criteria, it will fall under 'Search Engines'.

If there referrer with matching Social Criteria, it will fall under 'Social Media'.

Else, under 'Referring Domain'.

Thank You!

Arun