Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

IP address options and geo-lookup

Level 3

Hi,

I understand that when it comes to collecting and reporting the IP address, we have several options. What I am not clear on is how it impacts the geo-lookup (geo-segmentation reports).

1. IP - Replace the last octet

I understand what it does to the IP Address report and how it impacts the geo segmentation reports

2a. IP Obfuscation: Obfuscate IP addresses

I understand what it does to the IP Address report but is the obfuscation done post geo-lookup, meaning the geo segmentation reports are still working?

2b. IP Obfuscation: Remove IP Addresses

Same question as 2a, will the geo segmentation report still be working?

I believe for 2a and 2b, the geo segmentation reports won't work anymore but could you please confirm?

Thank you in advance,

Olivier

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

Actually, I think I found the answer for use case 2b: Remove IP address

The Adobe documentation says: Checking Remove IP address replaces the IP address with x.x.x.x in the data, after geo-lookup.

So I guess the geo-segmentation reports will still work.

I now believe that use case 2a will obfuscate the IP address (e.g., 234abc6493872038) after the geo-lookup as well but would really appreciate to get it confirmed as it is not in the Adobe documentation.

I don't fully understand why with use case 1., we lose the "city" as the replacement of the last octet could have been done after the geo-lookup, exactly like for the IP Removal use case...maybe Legal reasons? Strange...

Thank you!

Olivier

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 3

Actually, I think I found the answer for use case 2b: Remove IP address

The Adobe documentation says: Checking Remove IP address replaces the IP address with x.x.x.x in the data, after geo-lookup.

So I guess the geo-segmentation reports will still work.

I now believe that use case 2a will obfuscate the IP address (e.g., 234abc6493872038) after the geo-lookup as well but would really appreciate to get it confirmed as it is not in the Adobe documentation.

I don't fully understand why with use case 1., we lose the "city" as the replacement of the last octet could have been done after the geo-lookup, exactly like for the IP Removal use case...maybe Legal reasons? Strange...

Thank you!

Olivier