Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

How to track inactive/disabled buttons on the website using Adobe launch?

Level 1

Hello All,

I have an ecommerce site and we are using Adobe launch to capture the interaction. There are products for which 'add to cart' button is disabled and the business wants to see the insights of how many times the visitor is exposed to these disabled 'add to cart' buttons. 

Can someone please guide me how to track this?

Thank you,

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

Hi, @SivaprasadGunji 

I would start by either including a flag in your data layer that indicates whether or not the "add to cart" feature is available or disabled for the particular product, or by creating a Launch data element that looks in the HTML for the "add to cart" button and returns a disabled/enabled indicator.

Once you've identified whether the button is enabled or disabled, include the information on your call that includes the prodView event and s.products. Where and how you capture this (event, eVar, prop) is dependent on how you want to use the data. For example:

• You might consider an eVar (hit/recent) if you want to track both enabled and disabled. With this setup, you can quickly understand the frequency of "prodView" events that occur under each scenario.
  • You might consider an event if you just want to track the frequency of "disabled" instances on a per-product basis.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 8

Hi, @SivaprasadGunji 

I would start by either including a flag in your data layer that indicates whether or not the "add to cart" feature is available or disabled for the particular product, or by creating a Launch data element that looks in the HTML for the "add to cart" button and returns a disabled/enabled indicator.

Once you've identified whether the button is enabled or disabled, include the information on your call that includes the prodView event and s.products. Where and how you capture this (event, eVar, prop) is dependent on how you want to use the data. For example:

• You might consider an eVar (hit/recent) if you want to track both enabled and disabled. With this setup, you can quickly understand the frequency of "prodView" events that occur under each scenario.
  • You might consider an event if you just want to track the frequency of "disabled" instances on a per-product basis.

Community Advisor
@SivaprasadGunji, I particularly like this approach, because it provides weight to the items users are interested in viewing. First of all, Adobe Analytics is not the first or even the best tool for capturing impressions. Just getting an impression of ALL products that are disabled with "add to cart" on any given screen may or may not give you an accurate picture, plus, you're going to start capturing a lot of data that may not even mean as much as you would hope. Just like an internal search, an explicit interaction of someone clicking to view a product is a lot more meaningful than simply landing on a page of products. Being one who frequents a number of ecomm sites and even works for one, I am hoping my perspective can be helpful.
Jeff Bloomer

Level 1

Thank you. Sorry for the delayed response. Just checked your response. 

Level 1
Thank you. Sorry for the delayed response. Just checked your response. We had captured this information with the similar approach.

Level 1

Hi SivaprasadGunji

- You can use css property of the button which tells whether button is enabled/disabled

- OR you can use your own customer logic to set a flag in your data layer and then map it to Data element. You can avail this data element in rules to set any analytics variable.

Level 10
Do any of the answers below answer your initial question? If so, can you select one of them as the correct answer? If none of the answers already provided answer your question, can you provide additional information to better help the community solve your question?