Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Entries vs. Entry page

Level 4

Hi,

I wonder what the difference is between Entries and Entry Url?

When I look at entries on the metric, Url and compare it to Entry Url.

Entry Url gives more entries. Why is that? What difference these two?

Thankful for all help.

Regards

Erik

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear Erik,

It should not be the case. If you select 'Entries' as metric both URL Report and Entry URL Report should have same numbers.

Make sure that URL Report and Entry URL Report are from same Prop. Example : URL Report (c1) and Entry URL Report (c1).

Thank You

Arun

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 4

Hi Eric

There are couple thing which would be good to know to understand your query,

first what is Entry URL custom variable or you are referring to Page Name?

a small snip of the report would be great to provide you the reason for the discrepancy.

let me explain Entry metric The starting of the visit is known as entry and happens once in a visit, so when you  compare Page Views, Visits, Unique Visitors & Entries in a key metric report you will see Number of page views which happened Under all the Visits of all the visitors and the entry are equal to visits.

Entry metric represents the number of times a given value is captured as the first value in a visit.

Entries can occur only once per visit. However, it is not necessarily the first hit if the variable is not defined which is why it is important to understand what you are looking at and how you are comparing these metrics.

Thanks

Saneesh

Community Advisor

Dear Erik,

Entry Page / Entry URL is the first page of visit and all the metrics in the visits are attributed to the dimension.

Whereas Entries is a metric associated only with the first page of entry.

Example : Assume the below flow.

A >> B >> C >> D

Total Number of Page Views is : 4

Dimension by Page : A = 1, B = 1, C = 1, D = 1

Dimension by Entry Page : A = 4. This is because, Entry Page A contributes succeeding Page Views. B, C and D are not Entry Pages.

Total Number of Entries is : 1

Dimension by Page : A = 1

Dimension by Entry Page : A = 1

So if you take Entries as metrics, both Pages and Entry Page should have same numbers.

Thank You

Arun

Level 4

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry if my question is a bit unclear. Having trouble getting an easy way to explain it.

I want to compare entries for a specific URL.

One way is via Metric URL, and looks at entries (event).
The other way is via Prop, Entry page and then I look at entries (event).

I believe that the same URL should provide the same entries if I compare these to ways but I get more entries on the Entry URL.

Thank yoy

Erik

Level 4

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry if my question is a bit unclear. Having trouble getting an easy way to explain it.

I want to compare entries for a specific URL.

One way is via Metric URL, and looks at entries (event).
The other way is via Prop, Entry page and then I look at entries (event).

I believe that the same URL should provide the same entries if I compare these to ways but I get more entries on the Entry URL.

Thank yoy

Erik

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear Erik,

It should not be the case. If you select 'Entries' as metric both URL Report and Entry URL Report should have same numbers.

Make sure that URL Report and Entry URL Report are from same Prop. Example : URL Report (c1) and Entry URL Report (c1).

Thank You

Arun

Level 4

Hi,

Do you know why I cant compare Entry URL report (prop) against URL (Evar)? Why differ URL (Evar) against URL (Prop)?

Regards
Erik

Community Advisor

Dear Erik,

There are reasons why we should not compare eVar Versus Prop.

Kindly refer the Adobe Help Documentation to understand the differences in much better way than I explain.

Thank You

Arun