Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Customer journey tracking

Level 3

Hello,

I would like to track the pages that a customer visits on my website before to click on a button "A" that redirect to an external site.
The button is a custom event that I already defined (so I am able to see how many clicks I get on that button) but I do not know how to see the pages that preceded the clicks. I tried to use the path finder features, but I am not able to track anything since I can not define as "specific page" the external site, and since I can not define the button as a "specific page" (because it is a button). Any ideas?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

There are a couple of ways to do this. for going forward you can allocate a prop and populate it with both page names when a page name occurs and with the custom link name when exits or custom links occur. Then you can path on that prop. You can set this up in your s_code or in your processing rules. Since you have an event that occurs on the link you want you can always put the page name into the prop but when eventx fires put the custom link name in instead. Now you can path on that prop to find the pages before the event occurs.

Or

you can create a visit segment where 'eventx greater than 0' and then just do your normal path reports. if that event ONLY happens one place you have it. If you need to do it in conjunction with any other data passed when that exit link is clicked you can include that in your segment. Unfortunately sequential segmentation 'then' clause won't let you go back in time (ie visit where eventx is greater than 0 'before'... maybe in the future) so you won't know in some of your reporting if the guy saw page 1, page 2, page 3, clicked the link with the event, came back (because the visit isn't closed yet, saw page 1 again and then page 4 your pathing reports would show 4 but it's not really a path you want.

Or

You can pull a data warehouse report for the custom/exit link name (in a segment) and get all the page names etc and visitor ids and whatever else you need to sequence all the visits yourself (we have a counter evar for visits that increments on every server call, a daily visit number, date and unique visitor id(s) so we can always sort out and get any visitor's data in sequential order.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 10

Hi! 

Thanks for reaching out to the community! 

I am trying to find out how you could achieve the exact thing you want. However, if there are possible major paths that visitors may follow on your website, you may try to have a "quick fix" solution by using a fallout report. Only catch is you would have to define the paths for this. You can read about this here - https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/dsc/c_reports_fallout.html

Could you tell if there are other buttons leading to exit links on your page?

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

TM

Level 3

Hi thanks for your answer. No, there are not other buttons leading to an external page.With the fallout can I see the previous actions?
My situation is the follow.
I have several pages that provides several info. On each page I have a button called "additional info". When the user clicks it goes to another domain called www.otherdomain.com.
I can count all the clicks on these buttons (because I defined an event and the button has the same name and basically it is the same button, just hosted in different pages). Plus, all the buttons link/lead to the same website, but external. 

What I would like do is to see what the users do/the path, before clicking that button (that means before to leave to www.otherdomain.com)

Thanks

Level 10

Hi, 

To get the exact thing that you want, you will have to use a prop which will enable pathing reports for you. You can then look at the previous page reports. 

Regards,

TM

Correct answer by
Level 6

There are a couple of ways to do this. for going forward you can allocate a prop and populate it with both page names when a page name occurs and with the custom link name when exits or custom links occur. Then you can path on that prop. You can set this up in your s_code or in your processing rules. Since you have an event that occurs on the link you want you can always put the page name into the prop but when eventx fires put the custom link name in instead. Now you can path on that prop to find the pages before the event occurs.

Or

you can create a visit segment where 'eventx greater than 0' and then just do your normal path reports. if that event ONLY happens one place you have it. If you need to do it in conjunction with any other data passed when that exit link is clicked you can include that in your segment. Unfortunately sequential segmentation 'then' clause won't let you go back in time (ie visit where eventx is greater than 0 'before'... maybe in the future) so you won't know in some of your reporting if the guy saw page 1, page 2, page 3, clicked the link with the event, came back (because the visit isn't closed yet, saw page 1 again and then page 4 your pathing reports would show 4 but it's not really a path you want.

Or

You can pull a data warehouse report for the custom/exit link name (in a segment) and get all the page names etc and visitor ids and whatever else you need to sequence all the visits yourself (we have a counter evar for visits that increments on every server call, a daily visit number, date and unique visitor id(s) so we can always sort out and get any visitor's data in sequential order.

Level 3

TanmayM wrote...

Hi, 

To get the exact thing that you want, you will have to use a prop which will enable pathing reports for you. You can then look at the previous page reports. 

Regards,

TM

But I want to track what is happening before that  the users go to the external site. For example I want to check what the people do before to go to "www.adobe.com".
The previous page report shows only internal page, therefore is impossible to define an  external page e.g, "www,adobe.com"

How can I do what I need? Thanks

Level 3

warrensander wrote...

Or

Or

But I want to track what is happening before an EXTERNAL page. Do you think is possible then? Thanks.