Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Cross over traffic report for a single user between two different sites/domains

Level 2

Hi,

I would like to know how to get a cross over report or traffic for the most important metrics like unique visitor, visits, etc. for a single user who visits two different domains(holds the same MID across both domains).

For example, lets assume

A single company owns two sites A & B. There are web properties and visitor cloud id services already implemented for both the sites separately and analytics is tracked separately in individual report suites. Both the sites have mostly the same functionalities and user behaviors.

I would like to see the traffic combined for both the sites for a single user. if a user visits siteA and then visits siteB, I would want to track the unique visitor count as 1 since it’s the same user across different domains/sites.

I tried using a rollup report combining traffic from both the sites but it combines the unique visitor count for both the site as 2 (1UV+1UV) for a same user.

If a single user visits SiteA and also SiteB, I would want to count it as 1 unique visitor.

Since the mid captured for both siteA and siteB for a single user is same, I would want to be able to see the unique visitor, visits and other important metrics between these two sites together under one report suite.

Could you kindly let me know any solutions that might help me with my requirements.

Note: MID value is already same for a user between two sites.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

It's a very long process, but if your sites have the same structure (as ours did), then you can do the following:

1)Speak to Adobe account manager to ensure you have a heavily discounted secondary server calls.

2)Set an evar for the brand and website (e.g. Pepsi|US or Pepsi|FR)

3)Send the data into a new secondary RSID and the same time.

Once we had YOY data, we stopped putting the data in the original RSID's and used virtual report suites.

+points - works exactly as you desire, completely gets rid of any desire to have more than 1 RSID in workspace at time as you can compare sites. Simplifies report building.

-points = lots of report re gigging, circa 20% higher analytics costs during cross over. You are stuck with 1 currency at the end of it. Marketing channels can get alter (1% to 2%) if customers move between sites.

Overall - I would highly recommend this approach if it feasible.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Employee

As long as you have a common variable that you can tie between sites, like a cookie value or something unique like a userID, you can use Data Workbench to stitch the logic together cross almost any domain.  More info can be found here in the implementation guide.

https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/insight/implementation/

Correct answer by
Level 8

It's a very long process, but if your sites have the same structure (as ours did), then you can do the following:

1)Speak to Adobe account manager to ensure you have a heavily discounted secondary server calls.

2)Set an evar for the brand and website (e.g. Pepsi|US or Pepsi|FR)

3)Send the data into a new secondary RSID and the same time.

Once we had YOY data, we stopped putting the data in the original RSID's and used virtual report suites.

+points - works exactly as you desire, completely gets rid of any desire to have more than 1 RSID in workspace at time as you can compare sites. Simplifies report building.

-points = lots of report re gigging, circa 20% higher analytics costs during cross over. You are stuck with 1 currency at the end of it. Marketing channels can get alter (1% to 2%) if customers move between sites.

Overall - I would highly recommend this approach if it feasible.

Level 5

I recommend reading up on the technical aspects of setting up cross-domain tracking before contacting Adobe support about secondary server calls.

In order to monitor how a single "person" engages with different websites requires there to be a common value that the different websites share. For example, a visitor ID, user ID, etc.

• Are you using first-party cookies for your Adobe Analytics implementation?
  • Are you using the Experience Cloud ID service? If yes, then a visitor who reaches Site A will have the same visitor ID when Site B is reached if (and this is a big if) the visitor has not disabled third-party cookies (demdex is a third-party cookie, and is used to generate the Experience Cloud ID)
  • Are visitors able to log into a profile on both websites, and, if yes, is the user ID the same for a login regardless of the site?
  • Are there direct links between the different websites? If yes, you can use the appendVisitorIDsTo function to pass the visitor ID from one website to another. This visitor ID can be stored in an s.eVar.

Sending data from different websites to a single report suite can make data analysis easier, but requires a lot of discipline when it comes to how your sites' data layers are managed. You'll need to use the same variables across all sites and format the variable values the same way. This will severely limit flexibility, so you'll want to make sure that everyone is OK with that. If your websites span different countries - especially if this includes both EU and non-EU countries - then there is the added issue of blending visitor data from countries that have different data privacy regulations.

Level 2

Hi Andrew,

As per your suggestion to use work bench, could you kindly elaborate how it would help with combining two report suite data.

I am not clear on how Data Workbench works.

Thanks again for your help.

Employee

Data Workbench is an independent Server - Client installation that is siloed just for your data.  You can query against your own processing servers which in of itself is nice.  However, you can also use it to stitch together nearly limitless data sources together into one system.  This would include as many report suites as you'd like.  For more information on a demo of Data Workbench, check with your CSM.  Since it is so robust and flexible, each installation is very unique and as such, very limited "generic sample content" is available sadly for demo in public spaces. 

Employee

Glad I could help!   I'm a huge fan of Data Workbench.  Its a great/powerful tool but not as user friendly as Analytics