Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Connect the MID to the FID/SVI cookie

Level 2

Hi all,

We have implemented a custom implementation where the fid cookie is enabled prior to consent with a lifespan of 1800 seconds (30min). We use this cookie for anonymous tracking. However, as soon as a user accepts cookies, the ECID/AMCV cookie is fired and then we see in our analytics calls that the MID variable is populated. 

My question now is, in the above scenario, will there be 2 users? We do not want that these show up as 2 different users. And we want the FID to be connected to the MID as soon as consent is given.

UPDATE: the reason why it seems that Adobe DOES connect those two ID's, is the fact that in the first call to Adobe Analytics, both the FID and the MID are set. All calls after only refer to the MID, which makes sense to me because Adobe already received in one call both ID's.

terttetttt_0-1625818231149.png

Thanks in advance,

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

@JasmienY,

If there is only FID present in the server call it will be used for visitor identification. Unfortunately FID and MID cannot be mapped together to treat the user as same visitor before and after consent. AID and MID gets mapped together but this is not the case here. 

In reporting you will be seeing 2 UVs(1 for FID and 1 for MID). If you want the user before and after consent to be same you either have to implement MID before consent as well or make sure AID or s_vi cookie is generated before consent instead of FID or implement s.visitorID

In case of AID, we can enable grace period to make sure AID and MID are mapped together for the visitor.

MCID service deployed with grace period activated (New or Returning Visitors)
Result:  Image request would have a s_vi cookie and therefore an 'aid' value (including mid) after consent. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 7

@JasmienY  If MID is not present than fid get set but when MID is populated than MID takes preference over fid and will be used for final identification of the user. Both won't be used for the identification of the user. In your case, fid will be considered when user hasn't given given the consent so there will be no MID. Hence in that case fid will be used for visitor identification.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/id-service/using/reference/analytics-reference/legacy-analyt...

Level 2

Hi @amgup. Thanks a lot for the clarification. So i'm wondering the follpwing: before cookie acceptance FID will be used to identicate the user, after consent MID will used. How will this show up in Adobe Analytics? Will it be 1 single user? Or will it show up as 2 unique users (cause on several hits the FID was used, and on the hits after consent the MID is used)

Correct answer by
Employee

@JasmienY,

If there is only FID present in the server call it will be used for visitor identification. Unfortunately FID and MID cannot be mapped together to treat the user as same visitor before and after consent. AID and MID gets mapped together but this is not the case here. 

In reporting you will be seeing 2 UVs(1 for FID and 1 for MID). If you want the user before and after consent to be same you either have to implement MID before consent as well or make sure AID or s_vi cookie is generated before consent instead of FID or implement s.visitorID

In case of AID, we can enable grace period to make sure AID and MID are mapped together for the visitor.

MCID service deployed with grace period activated (New or Returning Visitors)
Result:  Image request would have a s_vi cookie and therefore an 'aid' value (including mid) after consent. 

Level 2
Hi @vibhatna , this was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Level 2

Hi @vibhatna , this was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

I do see however in my cookie list, that prior to consent, both "s_vi" and "s_fid" are present.

terttetttt_0-1625830439439.png

However, when I look in the calls made to Adobe Analytics. I notice that only the value of FID is sent (while AID should be mapped as well if I read your explanation correctly, cause s_vi is present). However, after accepting consent, I see both the MID and the AID in the same call. If i understand correctly, I need to have the AID present also before consent? How is this not happing if the cookie is present before consent.

Screenshot below of what I see in the same call after consent. So after consent, AID is available.

terttetttt_0-1625830679606.png

terttetttt_1-1625830687396.png

Employee

@JasmienY,

If you s_vi cookie before consent then it should be used to identify the visitors. The server may show fid but I guess s_vi must be in use.

You can pull out the data feed for a day and check the post_visid_type column against the pages users access before consent. Below is the lookup for post_visid_type column. You would be able to see 3, 4, 5 mostly. 

0 means Custom visitorID or Unknown/not applicable
1 means IP and user agent fallback
2 means HTTP Mobile Subscriber Header
3 means Legacy cookie value (s_vi)
4 means Fallback cookie value (s_fid)
5 means MID

If you see 3 for the pages before consent, mean AID or s_vi is being used, 4 means FID is being used.