Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Clicks vs Visit

Level 4

Hi,

We have tracking id implemented on URLs, however, we are noticing the visits being lower than unique clicks.  What would be the reason for this?  Would browsing tracking limitation be an issue?  I know it's not apples to apples comparison here, but insight would help. 

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

So this can be due to many reasons:

• User right clicks on the link and copies the link, then manually pastes it (not tracked on your site, but tracked at the destination)
  • User opens the link in a new tab (right click and context menu, or center click, etc) (not tracked on your site, but tracked at the destination)
  • User refreshes the destination, or navigates through the destination site then uses their "back" / browser history, and re-triggers that page tracking
  • The destination URL was crawled by Google or another search engine, or posted on social media, etc (traffic would be going from third party sites to that destination outside of your flow)
  • Users who are opted out of Adobe tracking / blocking Adobe tracking aren't being captured on your side, but are being captured on the destination by their code

If the discrepancy is really 50,000 to 10,000 I would say that URL is available outside of your site and that designation is getting traffic from other sources...  that's too big a difference for the other options... or if that is an exaggeration, and the difference is noticeable but close, that will need to be an acceptable difference.. you cannot properly compare two different tracking systems and expect them to match....

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Can you provide more details? 

Visits shouldn't be lower than your clicks... those clicks are inside of a visit... 

That said, maybe you have something wrong in your implementation, or maybe there's an issue with your segments that as you are trying to pull data, you have prevented some of the data from returning....

Level 4

Hi @Jennifer_Dungan,

We are providing this tracking id to an external site.  They have implemented the URLs with the tracking ID.  It seems they are reporting higher clicks and we are seeing lower visits driven by that tracking ID.  For example, they have 50 000 clicks vs 10 000 visits that we are seeing.  I have used 'hit' vs 'visit' in my segment since we are looking to measure conversion specifically coming from that traffic.  

Thanks

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

So this can be due to many reasons:

• User right clicks on the link and copies the link, then manually pastes it (not tracked on your site, but tracked at the destination)
  • User opens the link in a new tab (right click and context menu, or center click, etc) (not tracked on your site, but tracked at the destination)
  • User refreshes the destination, or navigates through the destination site then uses their "back" / browser history, and re-triggers that page tracking
  • The destination URL was crawled by Google or another search engine, or posted on social media, etc (traffic would be going from third party sites to that destination outside of your flow)
  • Users who are opted out of Adobe tracking / blocking Adobe tracking aren't being captured on your side, but are being captured on the destination by their code

If the discrepancy is really 50,000 to 10,000 I would say that URL is available outside of your site and that designation is getting traffic from other sources...  that's too big a difference for the other options... or if that is an exaggeration, and the difference is noticeable but close, that will need to be an acceptable difference.. you cannot properly compare two different tracking systems and expect them to match....