Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

"Unspecified" Values in report for ECID (Marketing Cloud Visitor ID)

Level 1

ECID.PNG
Hi all, I need help with this issue that I am facing for my adobe analytics report.

Based on the screenshot attached, only ~30k ECIDs were captured in the report suite. 
For the ECID, I used an extension called Experience Cloud ID Service to capture these values. 
What does it mean when there are unspecified values in the report suite for ECID values? Could this be a configuration issue?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear @r4ut4t4 ,

Often the main culprit would be the 'cookie domain'. Check whether the cookie domain value is set properly in Experience Cloud ID Service Extension with 'Opt-In' disabled (Are you using Opt-in functionality?).

PratheepArunRaj_0-1685428763680.png

Or, if possible, kindly share the public URL, we will validate and revert you.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B (Arun) | NextRow DigitalTerryn Winter Analytics

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear @r4ut4t4 ,

Often the main culprit would be the 'cookie domain'. Check whether the cookie domain value is set properly in Experience Cloud ID Service Extension with 'Opt-In' disabled (Are you using Opt-in functionality?).

PratheepArunRaj_0-1685428763680.png

Or, if possible, kindly share the public URL, we will validate and revert you.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B (Arun) | NextRow DigitalTerryn Winter Analytics

Level 1

Hi Arun, 

The 'Opt-in' function is disabled. 
Currently, there is no variables declared under this extension set up. 
If I were to update with these values below, will the issue be resolved?

r4ut4t4_0-1685430948082.png

Also, do you know why the adobe analytics report is able to capture the ~30k ECIDs mentioned above? 

Community Advisor

Are you dealing with multiple domains?

Community Advisor

Also, how are you collecting this value? The ECID isn't an out-of-the-box dimension... which means you are probably collecting this in a prop or eVar...

When you test your implementation, do you see that dimension being populated? Do you see the ECID being set on those tracking calls or are you getting fallback ids?

Community Advisor

@Jennifer_Dungan @yuhuisg Didn't Adobe automatically populate the ECID in its recent update? I remember that I read it somewhere. Sorry, I was under that impression. GOSH!

Community Advisor

I've never seen that.. it's possible this is rolling out to a few clients at a time... but I have no such dimension available to me....

Community Advisor

I don't recall hearing about this either. My understanding is that ECID has always been a separate service by Adobe that works across all of its products to identify visitors in a common way, and individual products like AA would then have to "read" the ECID values themselves.

It'd be good if you can find that source article that talks about what you've mentioned.

Community Advisor

@yuhuisg @Jennifer_Dungan ,

Not sure whether I overlooked something because I am trying to find some related links but had no luck.

Community Advisor

Instead of getting the ECID value from the extension, make use of Adobe Analytics' Dynamic Variables to get the value more reliably.

In the AA hits, the ECID value is tracked with the "mid" parameter. Assuming that eVar12 corresponds to your "Marketing Cloud Visitor ID" dimension, then you can set your eVar12's value to "D=mid". Then, when AA processes your hits, it will copy the ECID value to eVar12 automatically. And since AA's hits always have the "mid" parameter when ECID is implemented, then using "D=mid" is almost guaranteed to always set your eVar12 reliably.

Level 1

Alright, thank you for the solution. I've made the changes on my end but I'm still getting unspecified values in my AA dashboard. What could be the reason for this?
Is it possible that if a user is using incognito mode, ECID will not be captured into AA and classify them as unspecified?

r4ut4t4_1-1685601924823.png

Community Advisor

This should not be the case. Do you have a public URL for us to validate?

Community Advisor

No, I test in Incognito mode all the time, I always get an ECID.

As I mentioned before, you need to test your code.. Use the Adobe Cloud Debugger.... in the Analytics tab, when you are testing your site, do you see:

1. An Experience Cloud ID being set:
    Jennifer_Dungan_0-1685626208197.png
  2. Do you see your custom dimension being set?  (D=mid)
    Jennifer_Dungan_1-1685626347209.png
    • my example is a prop, I set this on every page and action; if you are using an eVar:
      • what is the expiry?
      • Is that expiry sufficient?
      • Is there a chance that you may have actions fire before the page view, meaning there is no value set in your dimension yet?
      • Do you have mobile app traffic in your implementation? Could this be from the Lifecycle events that are the first tracking call, made before ANY context data values are set (and also, mobile apps, you need to get your developers to send the ECID as a custom context variable, it's not available any other way)

We can't see your site, or your data... so the more information you can provide the better we can help you.

Community Advisor

Your report's date range is from 1 June, i.e. today. Depending on when you had published your change, the "Unspecified" could be coming from hits that were sent to AA before your changes had gone live.

Please check again for the data from 2 June onwards.