Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Classifying multiple values in one line

Level 5

Hi there,

on our site we are tracking error codes which happen when users register themselves. We collect these error codes in one eVar. Now I have the problem that these error codes are just codes and I need to classify them to give them meaningful names. If I have one value per item this is no problem, but how do I classify them if I get more codes per eVar, e.g. "eVar1=Error Code A, Error Code B, Error Code X"? The formatis always the same, the codes are separated by commas. Is there a way to do this or do I have to content myself with classifications for items with only one value and as soon as it is a combination I'll have to do this by myself in Excel?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

You can use Rule Builder to classify the values.

If you are passing in three values together separated by a comma, I would use the following expression

(.*),(.*),(.*)

Have a look at the images to see how it will be setup in the interface.
You can change the comma to another value if the delimiter is different.

[img]Rule Builder expression.PNG[/img]

[img]Classifying.PNG[/img]

For more information on Classification Rule Builder, go through the article:

https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/reference/classification_rule_builder.html

Edit: The last rule should also be "Regular Expression" and not "Starts With"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 6

You should consider passing these values to a LIST VAR and then then will be split out and you can classify them more easily.

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

You can use Rule Builder to classify the values.

If you are passing in three values together separated by a comma, I would use the following expression

(.*),(.*),(.*)

Have a look at the images to see how it will be setup in the interface.
You can change the comma to another value if the delimiter is different.

[img]Rule Builder expression.PNG[/img]

[img]Classifying.PNG[/img]

For more information on Classification Rule Builder, go through the article:

https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/reference/classification_rule_builder.html

Edit: The last rule should also be "Regular Expression" and not "Starts With"

Level 6

I second the list variable suggestion. but since you have data you can define your classifications as 'primary error code', 'secondary error code', 'tertiary error code' etc

and then setup a classification hierarchy for primary -> secondary -> tertiary and tertiary->secondary->primary

this assumes that if the codes are E1,E2,E3 that they occur in that order.

You could also do a classification for 'full error code' and put the translated string for E1,E2,E3 into that column with some sort of separator. I tend to like | for that.

then another hierarchy would be the 'full error code' -> primary -> secondary -> tertiary

or all of them could be 'first, second, third' etc.

using rulebuilder might work for you assuming you want 'error 1' or '101' or whatever is the error code rather than 'customer didn't supply correct zip code' etc

and even then depending on how many codes you have you could do the rule builder but if you translations and there is a workable set of codes the old fashioned tab file upload seems to work pretty well.

Level 5

Thanks for your help. I believe Rule builder won't help me here, since my error codes do not always appear in the same order and do not always are the same amount. Sometimes just a few values a passed, sometimes up to 21 values are passed in one line. Delimiter is comma. In order to apply rule builder those values would need to have a fix position.

Soemtimes it is ABC,DCE,EFG sometimes it is ABC,DCE only or ABC,EFG. And - as said - it can be up to 21 values.

Probably the List Var would help me. Need to dig into that.