Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Best way to store timestamp HH:MM:SS into eVar

Level 3

Best way to store timestamp HH:MM:SS into eVar by using plugin or App measurement. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I don't know if there is a "best practice" per se... this is a pretty niche requirement... 

Adobe Workspaces provide breakdowns to a minute granularity already... Data Warehouse exports only support down to hourly data.

For most companies, if they need down to the second reporting, then they generally set up Raw Data feeds (which contain the full and complete timestamp (day, hour, minute, second, millisecond) and process the data (as close as possible to Adobe) and use their own internal data lake).

That said, if you don't want to go that route, and instead set up custom tracking, how you store the data will really depend on how you plan to use it.

Key items to keep in mind:

• How do you want it to display - visually appealing / readable to your users is important 
  • Are you going to use Classifications to process the data, and make segments from those classifications? If so, you want values that you can easily parse with Regex
  • Any data collected manually like this won't line up with Adobe's timestamp... especially the seconds.... there will always be minor variations (since system time variance is "acceptable" is a 5 min tolerance), and then you have people that don't use auto-sync time that could have anything set on their device.....  Adobe tracking uses the Adobe server to set the timestamp, so it's one consistent source of truth

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 3

@VaniBhemarasetty - Thanks for the reply.

already we have capturing out of the box data like minutes, day, hour etc., which we can access in workspace.

let me rephrase my question.

Client want minutes or seconds dimension or granularity option in the data warehouse. unfortunately those are not available in the data warehouse.  so we want to collect the complete timestamp in eVar, so the client utilize dimension (eVar) in data warehouse.

Can you suggest me best practice.

Thanks!

Community Advisor

I'm still unclear about what your requirements are. Is it:

A. The client wants "minutes" granularity from the timestamp. You track "14:23:56" to your existing eVar. So in your new eVar, you want to track "23"?

or

B. The client wants "minutes" granularity from the duration to complete a process. If a user takes 1 hour 13 minutes to complete that process, then in your new eVar, you want to track "73"?

or

C. Something else? (Please provide a concrete example.)

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I don't know if there is a "best practice" per se... this is a pretty niche requirement... 

Adobe Workspaces provide breakdowns to a minute granularity already... Data Warehouse exports only support down to hourly data.

For most companies, if they need down to the second reporting, then they generally set up Raw Data feeds (which contain the full and complete timestamp (day, hour, minute, second, millisecond) and process the data (as close as possible to Adobe) and use their own internal data lake).

That said, if you don't want to go that route, and instead set up custom tracking, how you store the data will really depend on how you plan to use it.

Key items to keep in mind:

• How do you want it to display - visually appealing / readable to your users is important 
  • Are you going to use Classifications to process the data, and make segments from those classifications? If so, you want values that you can easily parse with Regex
  • Any data collected manually like this won't line up with Adobe's timestamp... especially the seconds.... there will always be minor variations (since system time variance is "acceptable" is a 5 min tolerance), and then you have people that don't use auto-sync time that could have anything set on their device.....  Adobe tracking uses the Adobe server to set the timestamp, so it's one consistent source of truth