Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Best Practice: FSI use of s.products for reporting

Level 3

Hi all,

I would like to know if its best practice to make use of the s.products reports for Financial services in terms of tracking products viewed and converted online (eg: Loans, Credit Cards, but also other added services they may offer like paying bills or buying data for your phone and so on). What about interest in products that lead to interest (ie: call me back form)?
How would you recommend tracking all these using the s.products?

Are there any best practice guides for implementing Analytics per vertical?
Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Martin_K_SA wrote...

Thanks Amit,
I'm not sure what the incrementor event is for in your example, when or why would you use this? also there isn't much need for scAdd as one isn't adding to a cart as it were. Ive also never heard or can find info on the s.events="scProspect" can you tell me more about this, how its used and setup?

Why would one use the s.products for FSI rather than just an eVar to capture the products? what are the benefits of doing it this approach?

thanks all

Well you need not to worry about incrementor now, I was just showing all OOTB s.products parts.

This is used to set Incrementor Success Event such that you manually pass a currency amount or number to it.  For example, you charge $2.50 shipping for a product and want to show that separate from Revenue, you can devote a Success Event to “Shipping Costs” and pass “2.5” in this part of the Product String to add $2.50 with each purchase.
Read more at : http://www.whencanistop.com/2012/03/how-to-use-products-variable-in.html

scProspect is a custom implementation event you can call it anything.I used a word "scProspect" to identify my interested users because that makes more sense to me.

list of Predefined events: 
Omniture offers several predefined events, some of them described below:

prodView      :  Success event occurs any time a visitor views a product.
scView          :  Success event occurs any time a shopping cart is viewed.
scOpen          :  Success event occurs any time a visitor opens a shopping cart for the first time.
scAdd            : Success event occurs any time a product is added to a shopping cart.
scRemove      : Success event occurs any time an item is taken out of a shopping cart.
scCheckout    : Success event occurs on the first page of a checkout.
Purchase        : Success event occurs on the final page of a checkout (includes Revenue, Orders, and Units).

See if you can use any of them in your case.

Regards,
Amit

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 7

On our site I have set s.products on all pages with a call to action so all pages in our loans/credit cards etc sections which are sales based and any which are purely help and support aren't tagged with s.products

Level 10

Hi Martin,

In your case to implement an optimal solution we have to combine two variables in analytics tracking i.e.
s.products = "[category] ; [products] ; [quantity] ; [total Cost] ; [incrementor] ; [merchandising]"
s.events="event1,event2.."
All you have to do is like when people is coming to your product page
use:
s.products=";XYZProduct"
s.events="ProdView"
Whenever there is a conversion via add to cart or some other event basedon your Business requirements use
s.products=";XYZProduct;1;100;eventX=2.5;eVarX=Sale"
s.events="scAdd"
Whenever someone shows interest in a product via call or some event based on your Business requirements use
s.products=";XYZProduct;1;100;eventX=2.5;eVarX=interest"
s.events="scProspect"

Regards,

Amit

Level 3

Thanks Amit,
I'm not sure what the incrementor event is for in your example, when or why would you use this? also there isn't much need for scAdd as one isn't adding to a cart as it were. Ive also never heard or can find info on the s.events="scProspect" can you tell me more about this, how its used and setup?

Why would one use the s.products for FSI rather than just an eVar to capture the products? what are the benefits of doing it this approach?

thanks all

Correct answer by
Level 10

Martin_K_SA wrote...

Thanks Amit,

thanks all

Well you need not to worry about incrementor now, I was just showing all OOTB s.products parts.

This is used to set Incrementor Success Event such that you manually pass a currency amount or number to it.  For example, you charge $2.50 shipping for a product and want to show that separate from Revenue, you can devote a Success Event to “Shipping Costs” and pass “2.5” in this part of the Product String to add $2.50 with each purchase.
Read more at : http://www.whencanistop.com/2012/03/how-to-use-products-variable-in.html

scProspect is a custom implementation event you can call it anything.I used a word "scProspect" to identify my interested users because that makes more sense to me.

list of Predefined events: 
Omniture offers several predefined events, some of them described below:

prodView      :  Success event occurs any time a visitor views a product.
scView          :  Success event occurs any time a shopping cart is viewed.
scOpen          :  Success event occurs any time a visitor opens a shopping cart for the first time.
scAdd            : Success event occurs any time a product is added to a shopping cart.
scRemove      : Success event occurs any time an item is taken out of a shopping cart.
scCheckout    : Success event occurs on the first page of a checkout.
Purchase        : Success event occurs on the final page of a checkout (includes Revenue, Orders, and Units).

See if you can use any of them in your case.

Regards,
Amit

Level 3

thanks.

Why would one use the s.products for a financial or bank implementation rather than just an eVar to capture the products? what are the benefits of doing it this approach?

Level 10

Bank or any FSI company have products like different type of funds i.e Series fund, Mutual funds and these categories are further divided into sub categories. They also have retail banking and that is also divided into multiple categories and subcategories. The products variable tracks how users interact with products on your site. For instance, the products variable can track how many times a product is viewed. It can also track the relative effectiveness of merchandising categories and subcategories on your site. Which is not possible with eVars.