Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Average time on site vs Average session length (mobile)

Level 2

Hello,

I am looking at some of the "time spent" metrics in our mobile app site. 

I read the "Time Spent Overview Guide https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/metrics/time-spent.html?lang=en" but still don't really get the difference between the average time on site vs average session length.

Could anyone kindly give me some examples and help?

Thank you so much!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Average Session Length (mobile) gets compare to 'Average time on site' but it looks more aligned with the session based metric Time spent per visit (Seconds) which is defined as:

Total seconds spent / (visit-bounces)
Represents the average amount of time visitors interact with a specific dimension item during each visit.”

which is very similar to  ‘Total Session Length / (Launches – First Launches)’  If you think of 'first launch' as a bounce. These are both essentially saying (total time spent)/(# of visit based sessions where time is spent)

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Average Session Length (mobile) gets compare to 'Average time on site' but it looks more aligned with the session based metric Time spent per visit (Seconds) which is defined as:

Total seconds spent / (visit-bounces)
Represents the average amount of time visitors interact with a specific dimension item during each visit.”

which is very similar to  ‘Total Session Length / (Launches – First Launches)’  If you think of 'first launch' as a bounce. These are both essentially saying (total time spent)/(# of visit based sessions where time is spent)