Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Advice on how best to tag a bulk action

Level 4

We have a new product feature coming up on our roadmap and I am thinking about how best to tag it and was hoping for some advice.

The site I work for is a job board (a site where you can apply for jobs). At the moment you can only ever apply for one job at a time but this will be changing soon. You'll be able to select multiple jobs and apply for them in bulk.

At the moment, when an application happens, we fire an event and multiple eVars with unique information about the job, like the Job ID, Company Name, Company ID, Job location, Job Discipline etc.

What I am not sure about is how to do this when you can apply for multiple jobs in bulk. I know you can set the event to increment more than 1, i.e. event1=4, but I still need to set the correct eVars for each of the jobs.

My initial thought is just to fire a new tag for each application that happens, so in each tag I will fire the application event and the eVars with the unique info about that job.

Is there another way to do this? Is it possible to do it in the same tag and have multiple values for each of the eVars, for example:

event1=4

eVar1 (job ID)=1234, 5678, 8901, 5678.

eVar2 (company name)=ABC, DEF, GHI, JKL

etc.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Frank,

It seems your scenario is very similar to the e-commerce one where a visitor purchases multiple products.

Consider using s.products that helps pass numerous evars and events together with the product ID (the latter can be anything you want).

I would go even further and consider a transition to an approach when Job ID becomes the product ID. Then all the metadata like Company, Location, Discipline, etc. gets uploaded as a Classification.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Frank,

It seems your scenario is very similar to the e-commerce one where a visitor purchases multiple products.

Consider using s.products that helps pass numerous evars and events together with the product ID (the latter can be anything you want).

I would go even further and consider a transition to an approach when Job ID becomes the product ID. Then all the metadata like Company, Location, Discipline, etc. gets uploaded as a Classification.

Level 4

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for your reply.

The issue I have with using product ID is that we are already using product ID for our B2B eCommerce offering which is in the same report suite, so it might cause issues with that reporting.

Thanks,

Frank

Level 10

yes, it will be more complex, but it's still possible to use s.products for both purposes.

Level 4

Thanks.

Our current eCommerce implementation is very simple, we only set a product ID, no other info, so if I set the product ID as the Job ID, would it show up in the same report?

Also, what exactly do you mean by "Then all the metadata like Company, Location, Discipline, etc. gets uploaded as a Classification."? As mentioned, our eCommerce tagging is very basic so the only part of the s.product variable we use is the Product ID. Could I add all these variables (job Id, company name, company ID, discipline, etc) to the s.products string and then a report would be created for each one?

Thanks for your help.

Level 10

Yes, it will. You will need to build the Job ID the way that it will be easy to differentiate them from Product ID and to avoid the situations when they may match. For example, if you set 12345 as product ID, set job_12345 as Job ID.

Then by applying segments it will be possible to make sure the report is showing only products or only jobs.

You can populate multiple eVars and events for each ID set in s.products.

The Classification works as a dictionary applied to the ID. The dictionary will need to be uploaded as a tabulated text file and may look as follows:

ID     Company     Attribute A     Attribute B

1      ABC              value1           value2

2      XYZ               value1           value3

Each attribute will be available as a dimension.

Read the following articles to get a better understanding on that:

Level 4

So, in the s.products string, I would have something like

s.products=;jobID123;eVar34=companyID_123;eVar28=CompanyName_ABC etc Is that correct? And I would need to set them as merchandising eVars?

I still don't fully understand how classifications come into this? I understand what classifications are (we use the Rule builder for our marketing tracking codes) but I don't see how/why they need to be used for this?

Thanks.

Level 4

Just a thought about it, would the following set up work/:

Every time someone applies for a job, set s.products and set the product ID to "JobApplication" and then pass all the other eVars I need, including JobID, company ID, discipline etc in the s.products string.

This would mean I have one generic product ID for an application (so it won't confuse the product report too much) and I can still capture all the info in need in the eVars.

Thanks.

Frank