Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Workfront project version control

Level 1

Hi, I think I saw previous posts about this item but wants to resurface it: 

If I understand correctly, currently Workfront does not have the function to go back to a project plan previous version. You are able to see in the update section that what has been changed, and only the system admin is able to restore tasks for a project if that was deleted. 

The current work around we are using is to download the project schedule at a determined frequency so we have something to compare to if there is a fairly large project and multiple PM is involved, and this is done manually. I was wondering: 

1) Is there a way for setting up a automatic download for project schedule? If Workfront is not able to do it at this time, is there any potential macro that can be used? 

2) From the community, do anyone else have better suggestion how you are handling similar issue (if you have encounter this)? 

Thank you! 

2 Replies

Level 10

Hi @StellaCh,

I'd suggest you consider Workfront's native Baseline functionality which essentially captures the "structure" of the project the moment the Baseline is "taken" (whether also set as the Default baseline, against which Workfront's native reporting can then compare, or NOT as the Default baseline, but at least then available for future reference).

To your automatic download question...you might also consider using Fusion or our Create Baseline solution to automatically take Baselines (whether Default or not) on some regular cadence (e.g. every week) in order to build up that historic data.

In case you're interested, we have some other Baseline related solutions, too, such as our AFA Burn Report solutions (with a primer here) and our soon to be released Roadmap with Multi-Baseline, which I happen to mention last week here.

If you'd like more information, I'd be happy to chat further via doug.denhoed@atappstore.com

Regards,

Doug 

Level 4

I would love it if project versioning or undo functionality was introduced. Our teams are using Workfront to manage their design projects, and by far the biggest stumbling block has been around settings dates, hours and projected durations. Changing dates often seems to behave differently per task, which usually depends on the constraint type, predecessors, etc. It's incredibly finicky and time consuming to get dates correct, and the ability to undo or go back to a previous version of a project would be a huge time saver.