Expand my Community achievements bar.

Work on it' button

Level 6
Hi Bearing in mind I'm not looking back to revisit our long conversation last year about commit dates and so I'm hoping to delicately skirt around that..... What happens if someone doesn't click on the 'work on it' button but still adds hours and marks the task 'in progress'? I realise no commit date is created and that it won't show in their 'working on' tab which can be problematic for any of our users who rely on that tab (very few) as well as the calendar on the my work page. Are there any other areas in Workfront that are impacted negatively or positively? Thanks :)
6 Replies

Level 10
Hi Laura, I believe if the user him or herself changes the status to In Progress, Workfront treats that like they clicked Work On It (which means a commit date is captured). If the PM changes the status for the assignee, they are not "committed" to it. As for impacted areas, I believe the biggest one is the Working On list in the My Work area. Any reports you run will still have them on the task and that task does appear on resource grids or team Working On Calendars for them.

Level 10
Hi Laura, I thought I'd test this out.....and I reckon there is actually a bug! Here's what I did: Logged in as a user and clicked on a task from their Work Requests tab. I did not click Work On It first. Set the task to 10% complete. This of course also has the effect of changing the task status to In Progress. Went back to My Work, and now the task doesn't show on either the Work Requests or Working On tabs I then ran an assignment report and filtered it for just that task. I included the Assignment Status field, and voila....the Assignment Status says "Done"! So it seems that Workfront is automatically changing the assignment status to 'Done' instead of 'Working'. I'll log this as a helpdesk incident and see what they say.... Regards, David.

Level 6
I just followed through your test and for me it did put that task in the working on tab as you'd expect. Seems like it's something unique to you - keep me posted though.

Level 6
Hi Anthony Actually, I raised this issue because it actually doesn't create a commit date. The report I run to show all tasks without a commit date sparked me to post this thread and question what affect not having a commit date has in WF. The tasks without commit dates can have hours against them and be marked as in progress but I worried about other issues. Thanks :)

Level 10
Hi Laura, I re-tested it today and found a difference depending on how I did it. Scenario 1: If I login as another user, then assign a task to myself, then set it to In Progress status, it all works correctly and moves to my Working On tab. Scenario 2: If I assign a task to another user, then login as them, then set it to In Progress status, the issue occurs and the the assignment status goes to Done (and the task is not visible on either tab. I will update my Support ticket and see what they think, but it could just be a side-effect of the Login-As feature. Regards, David

Level 6
Oh! Interesting - a bug for sure. Keep me posted ‚ò∫ Laura Ray Junior Project Manager Bakkavor Information Systems Bakkavor Group West Marsh Road, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 2BB, UK Direct: +44 (0)1775 763 010 www.Bakkavor.com // Laura.Ray@Bakkavor.com<