Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

Why are my 'OR' statements not applying to a multiple checkbox field?

Level 3

I am working on updating an existing form and one of the things I am trying to do is remove a specific section and all the fields associated with that based on what option a user selects on a designated field. If I set the rules to have one selection to hide said section, everything works as intended. However, the moment I apply a second, or third, 'OR' rule for two other selections in the same field, the section that I want to hide remains viewable on the custom form.

In the images included, if a user selects Residential in the Organization field and then either Bug/Error, New Build, or Site Update from the Asset Type field, I want the Resident Request Additional Info section and all fields to disappear.

However, when I apply the rules to all three of these selections to say:

*only display if Org: Residential is selected AND Asset Type: Bug/Error is not selected

OR Org: Residential is selected AND Asset Type: New Build is not selected

OR Org: Residential is selected AND Asset Type: Site Update are is not selected

Only one of these selections (in the attached image Asset Type: New Build) will follow that rule. The other two selections will leave the Residential Request Additional Info section and fields to show.

Is there something that I am doing wrong? Or something I am misunderstanding about the way AND/OR statements work in the system? 

Thank you for your help in this.

2 Replies

Community Advisor

it's possible that each individual logic statement is "cancelling the others out". So when you select one of them, the others come into play, in other words. Does that make sense?

if Asset Type: Bug/Error is NOT selected then obviously it's OK for any one of the others to be selected

if Asset Type: New Build is NOT selected then it's OK for any of the others to be selected

and so on.

In other words, your "OR"s allow each statement to be applied separate to each other. So you need to possibly try this:

*only display if Org: Residential is selected AND Asset Type: Bug/Error is not selected

AND Asset Type: New Build is not selected

AND Asset Type: Site Update are is not selected

Level 3

Ah. That makes sense. I was under the impression that adding in additional AND statements could create a problem similar to what you described. I'll try that and see how it works out.