Expand my Community achievements bar.

What do you call your position?

Level 3

Hey Everyone,

Like most places, change is an everyday thing in our office. We are working thru processes and position summaries. We are very curious about how others view Workfront and the positions/roles of those that manage it. DON'T have to give me company names - keep it anonymous if you want!

1. Can you share what your Workfront Admin position summary is?
  2. Is the WF Admin part of a broader position where they manage other solutions as well? If so, what other solutions?
  3. Would also be curious - How many Admins you have and for how many Users in the system?
  4. Do you use Group Admin to help manage WF? If so, how many?
  5. Do you think you have it figured out - are you happy with how you are managing WF given the info above?
  6. What would you change about your WF Admin position?

Just looking for some industry understanding as we are still new (just over a year) with Workfront and trying to optimize the people/roles we have in place.

Thanks in advance for sharing!!!

Chris

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

9 Replies

Level 4

Hi Chris,

LOVE this question and I was hoping to see some responses but none appear here.

Here's my story. I hope some of this info helps. BTW we are a retailer with our own creative team. We don't use contractors or agencies.

1. Can you share what your Workfront Admin position summary is?

-Manage request intake/conversion to project/proofing/releasing of all assets for the entire company.

1. Is the WF Admin part of a broader position where they manage other solutions as well? If so, what other solutions?

-We don't manage any other solutions

1. Would also be curious - How many Admins you have and for how many Users in the system?

-My 2 PMs and I are the Admins. Total users are about 150 (planners/workers/requestors/reviewers)

1. Do you use Group Admin to help manage WF? If so, how many?

-No - don't use Group Admins. No need for this.

1. Do you think you have it figured out - are you happy with how you are managing WF given the info above?

-Figured out? Is it ever really all figured out 😀 ? We are happy with our current use of WF. However, there is so much more we can be doing but I don't have the technical background (or budget) to understand how to do more and what we should be doing. Being an Admin is only part of my role. In my perfect world we would have an info tech manager who oversees WF and can suggest integrations that would benefit the company. Working on this.

I do spend a lot of time on WF One and reading through the Community posts to try to learn more.

1. What would you change about your WF Admin position?

-Nothing as of now.

Looking forward to seeing other responses.

Linda

Level 3

Linda,

Thanks for taking the time to respond! I had hoped to get more input from the community. We are looking at workforce planning and trying to assess some of our roles. We were hoping to understand what other companies are doing with Workfront Admin roles and what their responsibilities are. Part of this may mean developing a hybrid role for Admin like me who have other responsibilities besides Workfront.

This is helpful! Thank You!

Community Advisor

Hi Chris, here's some info on my role

Admin position summary

It's probably time to revisit my position summary since we've grown Workfront beyond our immediate team that we brought Workfront in for... serve as the Workfront system expert for the team and will be responsible for the administration of Workfront. Tasks will include the day-to-day administration of the program, troubleshooting system issues as well as submitting and resolving support tickets as required. Assist in process improvement efforts and be responsible for creating and maintaining process documentation, as well as monitoring and enforcing process adherence. Responsible for creating, maintaining and updating Workfront schedule templates, approval processes as well as custom forms and form fields that are utilized in the system for project submission, production and data mining. This system expert will have a solid understanding of Workfront reporting capabilities and will create and provide necessary reports, data, and dashboards for executives, business partners, finance partners, production and account/project management teams.

This individual will also be responsible for managing the rollout of new functionality inclusive of testing, training and troubleshooting as well as managing integrations with other company software, as required.

Is the WF Admin part of a broader position where they manage other solutions as well

We've recently started using Fusion so my role includes that. We've talked about bring other solutions into our team as other solutions are needed or a need arises for a new admin of existing systems

Number of Admins/Users

We have 3 Admins who consistently do Admin work. We have somewhere around 3000 active users

Group Admin

We're starting to use group admins, we currently have 1 counted in the number of admins above.

Figured Out

For the most part, yes we have it figured out. But as Linda mentioned, is it ever really figured out?! LOL Some Workfront enhancements allow us to make changes - for the better - but those changes sometimes require a bit of an overhall of a procedure to implement.

Change About Your Position

nothing right now

Level 3

Heather,

Thanks for the info and responding! We are working thru some workforce planning and your input will certainly help my Team Leader build out a position summary and more clearly define what our admin role entails! Thanks again, and Happy Holidays!

Level 10
  1. My title is Associate Operations Manager. But other admins fall into Operations Manager, Database Manager, Assistant Finance Manager, and a couple others since no one is full-time on WF.
  2. The three primary WF admins also work on DAM, related database tools, and general process for creative/marketing and adjacent IT/IS. WF is viewed as one of many tools we make available, not a monolithic thing requiring dedicated time.
  3. We have 6 with admin rights, 2 of them are more strictly admins as most would split that hair (system-level management, troubleshooting, process-level management). 200+ users.
  4. No group admins yet, but considering it as groups outside ours want to piggyback on our instance.
  5. Meh, I always feel like we could be doing better if we had a dedicated admin or two than just a bunch of shared-time admins. We'll never really have it "figured out" until that can happen.
  6. Make it a dedicated position.

Level 3

Kevin,

Thanks for the input! This really helps us see a range of company sizes and role responsibilities and will greatly inform the Workforce planning effort we are going thru currently. Have a Great Holiday Season!

Chris

Level 4
  1. We've never had a summary written down, as far as I know, despite using the system for several years. Now that I see @Heather Kulbacki‚'s, I have a starting place. It resonates closely with what I've been doing since assuming responsibilities at the beginning of this year. As a former technical writer and an admin who plans to pass off this responsibility to someone else eventually, documenting governance is a big goal for me.
  2. I don't manage another system, however I'm primarily the Marketing Training and Enablement Manager, so I'm managing a program that includes new hire onboarding, systems training and consultation, and employee communications. I might not hold the Workfront admin position long (and hope not to), but I will need at least Group Admin access to enable individuals and teams to learn and optimize their use of the system.
  3. It's currently just me and I don't recommend it, especially for our 1,200+ users. I'm starving for people to discuss administrative decisions and needs with.
  4. No Group Admins. Ideally I'd like at least a half dozen.
  5. I feel I have a good grasp, but only if we're going to manage the status quo. There are a lot of features and tools we're not using that could make how we use Workfront much smoother. Without more administration support, we're stuck in a rather responsive cycle of work.
  6. I need at least one more full system admin (if only because I need to be able to take time off). I'm trying to convince leadership to tap at least 3 Group Admins as support backup and process reinforcement. We also need a governance committee to discuss and prioritize system needs and decisions.

Level 3

Lyndsy,

Thanks so much for sharing!! Really appreciate you taking the time!

Chris

Level 1

Can you share what your Workfront Admin position summary is? We have a job description for Workfront System Administrator. This role oversees all things Workfront related i.e. custom forms, reports, dashboards, hierarchy, routing rules, etc. Collaborates with the core team on launching new and/or improved processes and workflows. Assumes primary responsibility for tech support of Workfront. Acts as a subject matter expect for Workfront platform. Creates and maintains training documentation. Responsible for organizing system intrastructure, and recommending improvements to the system and its processes.

Is the WF Admin part of a broader position where they manage other solutions as well? If so, what other solutions? Just Workfront, thats plenty! TBD if they will also take admin for our future DAM solution.

Would also be curious - How many Admins you have and for how many Users in the system? 1 FullTime Admin for 100 plan/work users. We have 471 users but many of those are request/review licenses who require minimal support. I dont think its about Admin:Users for us. Most of our users are setup and good to go. Its more about how many custom forms, template schedules, etc.

Do you use Group Admin to help manage WF? If so, how many? Kinda, we are getting there!

Do you think you have it figured out - are you happy with how you are managing WF given the info above? Overall, yes happy but we are always improving our system, its never really figured out!

What would you change about your WF Admin position? I need another one!