Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

What am I missing? Pulling parent project form info as a calculated task field?

Level 9

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong here - I've searched a few posts but no such luck.

I'm trying to pull in the field A_B_C from the project, as a calculated field on a task form.

I've tried what it seems to be them both the PERIOD and the COLON between the project and field name. 

{Project.A_B_C}

Project.A_B_C

{DE: Project.A_B_C}

From a task report, I pulled the text mode of

valuefield=project:A_B_C

but this didnt work either.

I'm 99% sure it's something minor but argh!

p.s. E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi - have you tried {project}.{DE:A_B_C}

For calculations and valueexpressions, you separate out the referenced object from the field with the period, but it also needs its own brackets.  (For valuefield, you can just use a colon like you had) 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 9

Hmm this seems to reference a view or a grouping. 

Is there not a way to capture this in a calcuated field?

Level 6

I've had to move away from using calculated fields for things like this because they only update when the task is updated - not when the source is updated.  Meaning that the field on the task may show an old version of the project field if:

- project record is updated

- AND task record is not also updated

If you're interested, I can share an example of how I'm using Fusion to work around this limitation.

Level 6

We're making this type of update in the following scenarios:

• Project to Task (ex: copy related project attribute to task)
  • Task to Project (ex: make the go-live date a project level attribute; sum the value of work delivered based on task attributes)
  • Company to Task (ex: write the Project Company Name to a task field)
  • Company to Project (ex: copy custom data from a company record to the project)
  • Project to Company (ex: sum custom field - value - of projects delivered)
  • Project A to Project B (ex: copy attributes of a related project A to custom data on the project B)
  • Task to Task (ex: maintain what grouping of work child, grandchild, great grand... relate to)

The purpose for most of these is to support reporting or integration with Salesforce/Jira.

The below example is a combination of project to project and then project to task.

Level 6

This is a branch of a larger scenario based off of a project new/change watch event.

Jason_JB_0-1674568384378.png

We use filters to determine if the scenario should work the event and if so, which branch the scenario should work.

This example is the following branch:

Jason_JB_1-1674568447080.png

In our scenario we're bringing attributes about the product being implemented on to the implementation project. The first router is branching to determine if there is a product tied to the project or if not.

• If so, we write attributes on the project and on related tasks
  • If not (like it was removed), we null the fields on the project and tasks

Jason_JB_2-1674568557411.png

We parse the JSON b/c the "Olive Product" is attached to the implementation project by a typeahead field.

Jason_JB_3-1674568601786.png

When then read the product record (which is stored as a project in Workfront)

Jason_JB_4-1674568675058.png

And write the attributes to the implementation project's custom fields

Jason_JB_5-1674568754258.png

The ifempty expression is key so that when a product is changed the related fields on the implementation project are blanked if there is not a value for that piece of information on the new product.

For projects that are not dead or complete (b/c those cause errors), we continue to update tasks.

Jason_JB_6-1674568862476.png

First it's a search to find the relevant tasks

Jason_JB_7-1674568900324.png

Then filter to ensure there are results (to avoid errors)

Jason_JB_8-1674568931900.png

Then update the tasks that were returned by the search

Jason_JB_9-1674568962983.png

The final step in an error handler that creates an issue in Workfront when the scenario fails.

• This gives our admin team a queue to work
  • AND let's the scenario finish - meaning it'll keep working

Jason_JB_10-1674569034051.png

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi - have you tried {project}.{DE:A_B_C}

For calculations and valueexpressions, you separate out the referenced object from the field with the period, but it also needs its own brackets.  (For valuefield, you can just use a colon like you had)