Expand my Community achievements bar.

Warning for right-clickers - this is being removed in 2019.1

Level 10
Hi, I, and most of our PMs, heavily use the right-click functionality to insert new tasks, delete tasks, edit tasks etc. In 2019.1 with the introduction of the new Task List functionality, the right-click function is being removed and instead, users are shown 3 small dots on the right of the task name box. If they click this then they get the same context menu that they used to get with right-clicking. The main issue with this is that it really slows users down when they are making lots of edits/insertions etc. With right-clicking, you can right-click anywhere on the task and the menu appears. With this change, users will need to find and precisely click on the 3 dots...this is surprisingly tricky and really slows me down, and it feels like a massive backwards step in terms of ease of use. A secondary issue is that the space for the 3 dots is taken out of the Task Name field so it adds extra blank space and consumes precious screen real estate. I really don't like this change and have passed this feedback on to Workfront several times but it looks like they're persisting with this change. If you agree (or disagree) with me, please add your comments here and also submit a ticket to Support to pass on to Product Management if you would like this decision revisited. Thanks Regards, David David Cornwell
72 Replies

Level 9
Thank you Wade for listening to the concerns of your customers and keeping this critical feature! Alison Wells, MBA Senior Business Analyst Corporate Information Systems Business Systems Group Community Administrative Support Building (CASB) 2530 Divisadero St, Fresno, CA 93721 Office: (559) 459-7008, Internal: x57008 Cell/Pager: (559) 287-6800 - WARNING/CONFIDENTIAL: - This email, including attachments, may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law (including, but not limited to, protected health information). It is not intended for transmission to, or receipt by, any unauthorized persons. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you believe this email was sent to you in error, do not read it. Reply to the sender informing them of the error and then destroy all copies and attachments of the message from your system. Thank you.

Level 1
I introduced the thought of this change to my team. We are new/young to working with the platform. Most comments were similar to "why are we going backward in the utilization of the functionality". If possible, I would recommend that this "new" change be explored in depth to determine how long it will take for heavy users to adapt to the slower process. I say slower process as I use the functionality of right clicking in multiple platforms and was delighted when I was able to use it as well with WF. I urge WF to run this through a "test" site of heavy users to see if it really does add anything to the process. To me, just thinking about changing a "learned" habit of right clicking, and then inserting the new process of seeking the 3 dots (...) to get what I used to get just right clicking - just for WF will not lead to/nor encourage my team to integrate(ing) the product into our work flows easier. Hi WF- Just a question, if the change takes place and does not work, will we be able to get it reversed to the original process? Karen Williams Biogen Idec

Level 4
Not happy with this move. Jennifer Miklasz Fidelity International

Level 7
Hi Jennifer and @Karen Williams , Our VP of User Experience Wade has mentioned in this discussion that we've opted to keep the right click menu in addition to adding the "..." menu to tasks. We'll continue to monitor usage of both areas in order to continue improving the Workfront application. Thanks! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 10
Hi @Dustin Martin - I still can't see right-click in Preview. Do you know when it will appear there so we have a chance to test it before 19.1 is released? Thanks Regards, David Cornwell

Level 7
Hey David, We will include the right click functionality with the production release, we haven't reconfigured it back in Preview for now though. Thanks! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 10
Thanks @Dustin Martin - so will we get a chance to test this in Preview first? Given that the new task list functionality is very different, and presumably adding right-click is not a small change, we really should get to do some testing. David Cornwell

Level 7
"https://cl.ly/478989256f66" title="You can now right click again in Preview">Preview Right Click Functionality Has Returned! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 10
Huzzah! Thanks Dustin. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
Thank you @Dustin Martin and the Workfront dev team. With the right-click operational we can now look forward to the performance benefits of the new task list. David Cornwell