Expand my Community achievements bar.

User Utilization Reporting / Resource Grid Replacement

Level 10
Hi, Does anyone have any inside news on what the replacement for the old flash-based User Utilization / Resource Grid will do / look like? Currently we can get daily totals for allocations in the Working On Calendar, but this doesn't come close to the current functionality of the Resource Grid (and even that had a lot of limitations re filtering/grouping and custom data). Our reporting needs are ever-increasing in the resource space, and I have very few tools at my disposal at the moment. Workarounds are extremely manual and outside of Workfront. Thanks Regards, David Cornwell
11 Replies

Level 10
Hi David, The User-based view of the new Resource Planner will allow you to see that data via the AVL - Available Hours column, PLN - Planned Hours column and NET which will show the difference between Available and Planned. It will allow to view the data by day, week and month so you will be able to view the total picture for the user for those time periods. There will also be a setting to display information for issue hours, similar to the Resource Grid. Thanks, Vazgen Babayan Workfront

Level 1
Hi Vazgen. I clicked on "go to Legacy Resource Planner" at one point and now I can't seem to get back to see the new Resource Planner in action. Any tips? Laurie Swinton Empire Life Insurance Company, The

Level 10
Hi Vazgen, Will we be able to see which Projects and Tasks the hours are made up of? And will there be any option to group and/or filter by project and/or task fields (including custom data)? This would really help us out. Usually the questions are not just "Who is most utilised / most under-utilised" but rather, "How much time are resources form Teams A and B scheduled for Internal work vs Customer Chargeable work vs XZY?" Thanks Regards, David Cornwell

Level 10
Hi David, Both options will be available. I will follow up when we get closer to the implementation phase. Laurie, both Legacy and new resource planning tools should work side by side. If you encounter a case when you can't switch back to Legacy, please open a support ticket for us to look into. Thanks, Vazgen Babayan Workfront

Level 8
Hi Vazgen, Will there be an option to filter out project statuses and/or portfolios? For instance, we currently filter our non billable projects from our resource grid because they are typically internal projects. We currently do this by selecting only certain project statuses. We do have a internal portfolio for these projects though, so it would be even easier for us to filter out that portfolio instead. Thanks! Jenn Jennifer Tanabe Director, Project Management Vertical Measures

Level 10
Hi Vazgen - great to hear. I'm really looking forward to seeing this new tool. Oh yeah - and will it have an export to CSV/Excel function like the old one? Cheers David Cornwell

Level 2
Hi Vazgen, Will the enhanced HTML5 version also include a way to export out the utilization data at the total resource level (i.e., People - Teams - Working On) as well as at the project level (Utilization)? The ability to use a horizontal scroll verses having to click on a button to view different time periods would simplify the experience as well. Thank you, Rick McMorrow Curriculum Associates, LLC

Level 10
Hi folks, The tool will have an option to export the data to Excel. At this point there are no plans to enable that functionality in Team Working On page. The horizontal scroll is something that we have on our roadmap with an option to select a custom period to view the data for. Thanks, Vazgen Vazgen Babayan Workfront

Level 2

Hello Vazgen! HELP!

I'm trying to build or run a User Utilization report that shows:

For one portfolio (billable work), by user, their available hours vs their actual hours by month, and then calculates utilization % as actual/available.

Is there a way to see this or build a report to see this??? I'm looking at the new Planner tool, but the % is using Plan/Available - is there a way to customize that formula? And in the Utilization tool, you can't see by user.

I would think this is a common need/ask. Thanks!!!

Level 3

Agree. Workfront needs to have robust Utilization reporting.

Community Advisor

I'm looking to do the exact same thing. I know there is the utilization tab on a project level, but I'm looking for it at a higher level - logged hrs vs avaiable hrs by person QoQ. Help!

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )