Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Updating Project Field info from Task Report results - I know this is problematic, but we need to be able to change the task assignee and status from a list to expedite the work, hence the Task Report. What is the best way to do this?

Level 4

My initial thought it to run a Project report to change the field, and then run the Task report filtering for that field to update the assignee and status. Is there a better way to do this?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

6 Replies

Level 7

Hi Angie,

What field on the project are you trying to update from the Task report? I'm not sure I'm understanding the question as you seem to have the answer to update the task assignee and the status in the report. You can group by the project if that helps.

Best -

Teale

Level 4

It's a field on our Custom form - an internal dropdown for a color correction status.

My question - is there a way to not have to do this in two steps. I'd like to be able to do it in a single step if possible but I don't think it's possible.

Thank you for the response!

Level 7

You should be able to pull it onto a task report and make it inline editable to update but whomever needs the appropriate permissions.

If it's not becoming inline editable, add - isInlineEditable=true - to the field via textmode and see if that resolves the issue.

Level 4

I added that to the text mode and I can't update it as an Admin - the permissions are there to allow me to.

I'll keep trying - thank you!

Level 7

So we both learn something new today.... I just found this Inline edit Objects and it says you can't inline edit fields associated with other objects so I was wrong. You can't edit the project field from a task report.

As a workaround, you can have both reports on a dashboard for users to move from one to the other easily and make the changes.

Sorry for the incorrect info.

Level 4

See that's what I thought about the object limitations, but I was hoping someone had a workaround to fool the system.

Thanks for the link and the time!