Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!
SOLVED

Update User Role on a Project

Level 4

A user was assigned to a project before a role was assigned to the user (they are moonlighting in a role for a bit). Is there some way in the project to bulk reassign/edit the role for that user or do we need to go into each task and reassign manually? 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

@William-- Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this! I didn't know the assignment consolidation until now, so that's helpful. While it didn't solve the problem, it did make me think a little differently and I was able to figure it out, so THANK YOU.

A little more detail on the problem:

• A project is opened and there are 10 tasks assigned to "Brand Strategist" role.
  • "User A" with a Brand Strategist role is bulk assigned to the tasks.
  • "User B" with a Client Strategist role is added to the tasks to provide support to the Brand Strategist. 
  • A new secondary role for "User B" of Brand Strategist is added to their user setup.
  • Need a way to reassign "User B" from Client Strategist to Brand Strategist.
  • Note "User B" has actually completed some tasks as a Client Strategist and only certain tasks need the role swapped.

Advanced Assignments.png

Here is what I did:

• Created a project filter to only show tasks that were In Progress or New PLUS that had the Assignment User = "User B"
  • Bulk edit those tasks to change the Assignee's Role for "User B" from Client Strategist to Brand Strategist

Filter.pngEdit Tasks.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Not sure if I understood correctly, but will take a stab: 

- A project is opened and there are 10 tasks assigned to "Graphic Designer" role. 
- "User X" (no job role assigned) is assigned to those 10 tasks. 
- Because User X doesn't have the Graphic Designer role assigned to them, each task now has 2 assignments: Graphic Designer and User X.

- This results in planned hours being split between the role assignment and the user assignment.
- User X is doing all the work, so total planned hours should not be split across both assignments.
- Goal is to consolidate the role and user assignment into a single assignment on the task.

- User X is then assigned the Graphic Designer job role. 
- The project needs to be updated so there is only 1 assignment per task, which shows User X with 100% allocation of planned hours and that they are working as the Graphic Designer. 

If the above is a correct understanding, then you should be able to use the Bulk Assignments feature in the project's Workload Balancer section to assign User X to the Graphic Designer tasks. If User X is already assigned to those tasks, the multiple assignments will just get consolidated into one.

William_0-1678120160015.png

The above action will update all Graphic Designer assignments in the project from this:

William_1-1678120347975.png
into this:

William_2-1678120370707.png

Hopefully that's what you're after... If not, I'll let one of the WLB experts chime in. 

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Correct answer by
Level 4

@William-- Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this! I didn't know the assignment consolidation until now, so that's helpful. While it didn't solve the problem, it did make me think a little differently and I was able to figure it out, so THANK YOU.

A little more detail on the problem:

• A project is opened and there are 10 tasks assigned to "Brand Strategist" role.
  • "User A" with a Brand Strategist role is bulk assigned to the tasks.
  • "User B" with a Client Strategist role is added to the tasks to provide support to the Brand Strategist. 
  • A new secondary role for "User B" of Brand Strategist is added to their user setup.
  • Need a way to reassign "User B" from Client Strategist to Brand Strategist.
  • Note "User B" has actually completed some tasks as a Client Strategist and only certain tasks need the role swapped.

Advanced Assignments.png

Here is what I did:

• Created a project filter to only show tasks that were In Progress or New PLUS that had the Assignment User = "User B"
  • Bulk edit those tasks to change the Assignee's Role for "User B" from Client Strategist to Brand Strategist

Filter.pngEdit Tasks.png

Community Advisor

Nice work, Ross!

(don't forget to mark your own answer correct so you get the credit )

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf