Expand my Community achievements bar.

Unregistered users with login counts

Level 10
I have a number of users who are appearing as unregistered but they have login counts and have been included in several projects. I've looked at their api and they do have passwords. What leaves them unregistered and is there a way to "recalculate" so that they are no longer appearing as unregistered? Polly Co
10 Replies

Level 10
Hi Polly, I never uncovered the Unregistered mystery. But I did discover that it didn't impact anything and I basically ignore it. Unregistered is not the same as Deactivated. They're still active (and should be) and don't have any limitations in their access rights. I don't know what causes them to be flagged as Unregistered (and when I asked the question a couple of years ago WF didn't have a good answer either), but from what I was told and what I've seen you can just ignore the designation.

Community Advisor
I was under the impression... (and I could be TOTALLY wrong!) that Unregistered meant they were set up with a password but never signed in with the temp password we gave them and created their own. I have just a couple people who I know are logging in regularly but it says they are unregistered. My guess is that we set them up with a password for whatever reason, but since we use single sign-on they've never logged in with the password we set to re-set it themselves. Do you also use SSO?

Level 10
@Heather Kulbacki , yes, we use SSO and I did read it within Workfront help about the password and registration. I've checked my support emails whether I did send her a password but nada. So she might have just logged on via SSO... the weird thing is we have so many who are setup after we've had SSO and only a few with unregistered. Polly Co

Level 10
@Vic Alejandro , yes, I actually don't really know this was an issue until one of the PMs looking at her dashboard for a project noticed that the person is unregistered. She just feels concerned that the person wouldn't get the info needed or can't participate because she is unregistered. I would thought to clean this up so there's no confusion and I thought it's something similar to changing an attribute on the user. By your reply, it looks like it's not something we can trigger ourselves. Polly Co

Level 10
for us, "unregistered" users are users who were sent the automated workfront "welcome" email and then never used it to log in. (They are unregistered until they use that email link) After thirty days this email expires, and leaves the user as unregistered. The solution would be to not send out the email. The workaround is (and my memory is a little faulty on this, so you may have to test it): * turn off the SSO on the user * reset their password * force them to log in using the password * turn the SSO on (or of course, use the user's password to log in on their behalf, bypassing them completely) -skye

Level 10
@Skye Hansen , that workaround worked perfectly. That cleared up the unregistered designation from her account. Thanks! Polly Co

Level 10
Hi Skye - they don't have to log in using the password. If we see unregistered (because when you create a new person from another user, the send email link is default checked and I'll forget to uncheck it sometimes). I just need to turn off SSO, change their password, Save, go back in and turn SSO on again. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 10
Actually, what I did was change their password, then go to https://yourinstance.my.workfront.com/login and login as the user since I have that password. Then log off. That works if you don't force the user to use SSO. I'm not sure how you are turning off SSO but if it's system wide, maybe it's easier to do as I did. Polly Co

Level 10
Turning off is at the user level. You just have to uncheck the SAML box Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 10

A year later, and the unregistered situation is still happening. Glad this thread was searchable. I was so confused as to why a user is actively using Workfront, but their userid shows as unregistered. I am choosing to ignore this error/notification/situation. Not resetting passwords - etc ... that would be way too disruptive and make users very upset....