Expand my Community achievements bar.

Understanding API terms

Level 2
Can anyone help define some terms for me or point me in the right direction for where I can find the information myself? The API Explorer is great for showing me what's available, but doesn't really define anything or show me the appropriate use for the terms. Also, any information on testing and troubleshooting custom expressions and calculated fields would be helpful. The immediate need is to define the differences between: Project: Entry Date Task: Entry Date Hour: Entry Date Thanks! Chris Jackson CheckMark
3 Replies

Level 10
Hi Chris, They're fields in three different tables (that happen to have the same name of the field). I believe the following is what they represent. Sorry if this sounds obvious, but let me know if this answers what you're looking for. Project: Entry Date – The Date a Project was created – Project level table Task: Entry Date – The Date a Task was created – Task level table Hour: Entry Date – The Date the Hour entry record was created (Logged Time) - Hours table.

Level 2
Thanks Vic for the details. I'm wondering if you're pulling that from experience or some kind of reference. I fear that some of my reports are inaccurate because they are built from data pulled in from Project custom forms. I'm trying to get total hours by entry date per month per person and by hours type. It seems to be pretty easy to put a field into the report thinking it tells me one thing when really it tells me something totally different. Chris Jackson CheckMark

Level 10
Hi Chris, Yeah just experience. WF doesn't have a good data dictionary. But I'm confident in that answer. So if you're just trying to get the hours recorded by each person, you could create an Hours Report, filter by the Hours > Entry Date (I'd give it a date range otherwise it can get unwieldy). You can also filter by Team or whatever you want obviously. But then Group by Person, then Entry Date, then Type (which is called Hour Type > Name). Then you can view it in the Details tab, or Summary, or add a Chart. I just tested it and it works, so let me know if you have any questions or want more details.