Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!

Test Mode - Grouping by Task Name

Level 8
Hi Community! I've attached two screenshots to show you what I'm trying to accomplish, but essentially, I am trying to use text mode to group by task name, but I'm wondering If it's possible to only have the following groupings: Estimate Costs {for estimate print costs and estimate print & mail costs} Final Design to Printer Mailing List to Printer Mail Date Delivered Currently, my report is generating more groupings because I have additional words / notes in my task names (these notes are there to differentiate what vendor the job is going to, where the job is being delivered and / or the quantity I need to estimate, which are helpful notes to see at a glance when my list gets long) Does anyone know if it's I possible to reduce the number of groupings using test mode? (something like…"task name contains?") and what the text mode would be for the groupings above? OR, would I have to remove the additional notes in parenthesis on each task to accomplish this? Thank you! Sydney Peterson Diversified Communications, Inc.
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10
I'll be interested to see if anyone comes up with code on this. I usually tell my folks not to change task names for this very reason so it would help us a lot. The only thing I could suggest would be to have a custom form field at the task level that contains a dropdown with the task names that you do want to group by, and then group by that custom field rather than grouping by the task name. -skye

Level 10
Agreed, Skye: best to avoid changing Task Names. However, some other bank shot angles to consider: if you use Templates, is to group by the Template Task Name instead (which will be constant), and greatly simplifies filtering if you use Milestones and they're on the Tasks of interest, use Milestone Name instead (similar concept, even without Templates) if you ad-hoc Project Plans and rely on "spelling", consider creating a custom calculated parameter called Task Prefix, with a formula of RIGHT(name,10) and grouping by that...crude, but with some solid conventions (or a fancier formula), quite effective Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 8
Wish I could edit the subject line of this discussion post because it should say *Text* Mode! Thank you Doug and Skye! I'll remove the additional words I've added to the task names in parenthesis for now, and post to task updates area instead. This was my solution if there was no text mode that could do the trick. Sydney Peterson Diversified Communications, Inc.

Level 10
So, I have something like this for a milestone report I use. Unfortunately, every single milestone gets a different ID when it is put on a project so there wasn't a really easy way to group them. So I come up with this code group.0.displayname=Milestone group.0.valueexpression=IF(CONTAINS("Creative Kickoff",{milestone}.{name}),"Creative Kickoff",IF(CONTAINS("Creative Check-In",{milestone}.{name}),"Creative Check-In",IF(CONTAINS("Internal Review",{milestone}.{name}),"Internal Review",IF(CONTAINS("Client Review",{milestone}.{name}),"Client Review",IF(CONTAINS("Legal Review",{milestone}.{name}),"Legal Review",IF(CONTAINS("Feedback Due",{milestone}.{name}),"Feedback Due",IF(CONTAINS("Approval Due",{milestone}.{name}),"Approval Due",IF(CONTAINS("Release",{milestone}.{name}),"Release","")))))))) group.0.valueformat=HTML textmode=true You could do something like this but for Tasks. So like IF(CONTAINS("Mail Date",{name}),"Mail Date",IF... Hope that helps. :) Anthony Imgrund FCB