Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Sort Groupings Alphabetically

Level 8

Is there a way to sort your groupings alphabetically? Does it have to do with the sorting of the columns?

0694X00000AsHuWQAV.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 7

Hi Samantha,

I do this to sort by a column that I don't want shown:

1. Add the column that you want to sort by to your report and sort it by that
  2. Switch to text mode and find these three lines:
    1. querysort=<field>
    2. sortOrder=1
    3. sortType=asc
  3. Copy the three lines of text and remove the column from your report
  4. Go to another column that you are not sorting by and switch to text mode
  5. Replace the line for querysort= with the three lines you copied above

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Level 10

You can do it via adding the column and sorting by it, but I'd like to know if there is a way to do it without adding the column of data just to sort (since the grouping shows the data).

Correct answer by
Level 7

Hi Samantha,

I do this to sort by a column that I don't want shown:

1. Add the column that you want to sort by to your report and sort it by that
  2. Switch to text mode and find these three lines:
    1. querysort=<field>
    2. sortOrder=1
    3. sortType=asc
  3. Copy the three lines of text and remove the column from your report
  4. Go to another column that you are not sorting by and switch to text mode
  5. Replace the line for querysort= with the three lines you copied above

Hope that helps!

Level 8

Sarah,

First of all, this is awesome. Thank you.

Second, I got it to work on my project report, but it's not sorting by default. I have to select the column each time the report loads to get it to display. This is the text mode I have in the column I need to sort by...

descriptionkey=name

isInlineEditable=false

linkedname=direct

listsort=string(name)

namekey=name

querysort=DE:project:LIA Section

section=0

shortview=false

sortOrder=1

sortType=asc

stretch=100

styledef.case.0.comparison.icon=false

styledef.case.0.comparison.leftmethod=ID

styledef.case.0.comparison.lefttext=ID

styledef.case.0.comparison.operator=notblank

styledef.case.0.comparison.operatortype=string

styledef.case.0.comparison.righttext=

styledef.case.0.comparison.trueproperty.0.name=align

styledef.case.0.comparison.trueproperty.0.value=left

styledef.case.0.comparison.truetext=

textmode=true

valuefield=name

valueformat=HTML

width=350

Any suggestions? Is this something I'm missing or a bug to submit to support do you think?

Level 7

Hey Samantha,

Can you login as another user and look to see if the sort is working? If it is, I ran into this problem before and I was only able to correct it by resetting the user settings on the person it wasn't working for (https://one.workfront.com/s/document-item?bundleId=workfront-classic&topicId=Content%2FAdministratio...).

I was working with a user that didn't have a lot of custom stuff setup so resetting them didn't effect much and it was a quick win. You might want to put in a ticket to see if WF has any other suggestions if you don't want to go this route.

If you login as another user and the sort isn't working, I would double check to make sure that you don't have a competing sort in one of your other columns.

If anyone else has ideas - feel free to chime in!!

Level 8

Wow, that worked right away! Thank you!!

Ok new question, this isn't working for me in a document report. I can't even get the sort to work in the column I want to group by. There are no conflicting sorts on any other column. Should my text mode be configured any differently for a custom field on a document report vs. a project report?

Currently text mode looks like this...

displayname=LIA Section

linkedname=document

namekey=view.relatedcolumn

namekeyargkey.0=document

namekeyargkey.1=project:DE:LIA Section

querysort=document:project:DE:LIA Section

sortOrder=1

sortType=asc

textmode=true

valuefield=document:project:DE:LIA Section

valueformat=customDataLabelsAsString

This should work shouldn't it???

Level 7

Hey Samantha,

I am striking out on this one. @Jason Webre‚ - reporting guru - any thoughts on this? Samantha is trying to create a Document Version report sorted by a project custom field. We were able to figure out the grouping, but not getting the sort.

Thanks!

Level 1

Looks like you must be in a document version report since you reference document in your querysort and valuefield lines (E.g. valuefield=document:project:DE:LIA Section). Unfortunately you cannot sort by a column that has to make 3 jumps. So from a document report, you should be OK because the querysort would be querysort=project:DE:LIA Section but in a document version report you will be out of luck.

Hope that helps!

Level 8

So @Jason Webre‚ I've converted my report to a document report (vs. document version report) and there is just four columns I can't get to display. They're all nearly identical. This is the text mode:

displayname=Changes Required Approvers

listdelimiter=<p>

listmethod=nested(proofApprovals).lists

textmode=true

type=iterate

valueexpression=IF({approverDecision}="Changes required"||{approverDecision}="changes required",CONCAT("•",{approver}.{name}))

valueformat=HTML

Why would I not be able to display this in a document report vs. a document version report?

Level 1

@Samantha Isin‚ , because a document can consist of many versions pulling in approval decision information from a document report is not going to work. We get to into too many levels of one-to-many relationships (Document can have many versions, each version can have many approvals). So i think to get these columns to work you will have to stick with a document version report, and unfortunately this probably means you will not be able to sort the report the way you want. Sorry!

Level 4

@Jason Webre‚ I'm working on a document report and trying to have the report and groups sort by Sponsor Name. It's technically only 2 jumps, but because of the way we have to modify the syntax to have a column be Sponsor Name (vs. ID), does the system count that as 3 jumps, and therefore the group sort by Sponsor Name won't work?

querysort=project:sponsor:name

I'm hoping there's some other thing I'm missing (oh how I wish Sponsor Name was just there :-)), but thought I should check!