Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Set Issue Description as Required?

Level 4
Is is possible to configure the field "Description" when creating Issues as a system required field? Similar to how "Issue Name" is required when creating a new issue. Thanks for the advise. Denver Lemont
4 Replies

Level 10
I don't believe so. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. Technical Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 7
Hi Denver, Vic is spot on, you can't actually modify or customize system fields in any way. Many of my customers tend to edit what system fields are visible, and then build what they need in a custom form. To do this for Issues, you'll open the project, go to More, go down to Queue Setup, and there is a section in there called "New Issue fields". You can select which system fields you want to be visible in that area. Below that is a sub-section called "Show all selected and unselected fields to", where you can choose if you want new issues to appear with the system fields regardless of which ones you selected/deselected, or if you want plan license users to see all fields, or only plan license users with view access to that project. Finally, below that is a section for Custom Forms. This is where you would choose the default form to appear on the issues, regardless if the issue is created as a help request, or under the Issues tab by selecting the "New Issue" button, or even adding an issue inline. I hope this helps, though you're always welcome to call our Customer Care team if you'd like further assistance. Thanks, Dustin Martin Workfront

Level 8
Dear Denver, Working on Dustin's response, you could hide the 'description' field that comes out of the box, then add a custom form with a text field that IS mandatory. As you can share fields across forms, you could make this available for every 'issue' type object (form) you create if you want. The downside is the field would appear on the 'custom form' section of the form (or the custom form tab, depending on how you're viewing it) rather than in the 'details' section. Alternatively, if you have a PMO you could create a report of issues where the description field is blank and every week they could chase up issue raises saying more details are needed in the description field. Note that if your people don't have buy-in (i.e. don't understand why they need a detailed description) making the field mandatory might just get one word descriptions anyway. Barry Buchanan Work Management Australia

Level 10
Hi, As the others have said, you can't. We created a custom field Description that we use for issues and request queues. If you are sure to always use this one field, you can use it on reports and we even used it when customizing the Working On tiles so that users could still easily read the description. (As pointed out by Dustin, if they click into the issue, it is on the custom form and not in the top section. But I can't tell how many requests people put in without explaining what they need since the description box is not required.) Anthony Imgrund FCB