Expand my Community achievements bar.

Selecting only parent tasks for Gantt timeline

Level 1
Hi everyone, I've been investigating the Gantt view to put some best practices together so that our project teams use it more when generating timelines for their clients. When you export a Gantt, it exports all of the task lines unless you select only the ones you want, which is very often the parent tasks showing the major project stages (we would usually wish to not show all the internal process subtasks). Does anyone know of a way to select only the parent tasks without automatically selecting all of the associated sub-tasks? Usually when you select the parent task, it also selects all the sub-tasks underneath it - which is fine if you need to select the whole section for project edits. But if you only want to show the parent tasks for a Gantt chart, you end up selecting everything when you click on the parent task and then de-selecting all the sub-tasks you don't want, which is a huge job on big projects and doesn't seem very efficient. Thanks! Mike Michael Hagger
1 Reply

Level 10
Hi Mike, I suggest you create a filter to exclude the lowest level of "leaf" Tasks using Number Of Children = 0, and/or to select only a certain "level" of depth to display using (for example) "Indent < 3" in your filter (Indent zero being the top level Tasks with no parents). In a related matter...we use a similar approach our "https://store.atappstore.com/product/ubergantt/" UberGantt solution and soon to be public Timeline solution (similar, but intended for complex critical path sensitivity analysis), but take it even further by allowing the end user (typically the PM) to "tag" individual Tasks (and their Critical Paths, in the case of Timeline) to be shown via the filter selected, as well as choosing a custom data parameter (whether manually entered, or derived in a calculation) to set each Task's color, which can be very helpful when interpreting Gantt Charts. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore