Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Same day predecessor tasks

Level 3

I'm looking for best practices for setting up tasks that need to be done on the same day but each subsequent task needs the previous task to be done before it can proceed. I've been using fs-1d on each of the tasks to negate the 1 day duration on each task but wonder if there is a better solution. I've tried 0 days on task duration but that messes with the completion percentages and has shown some projects as complete when they are not.

Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Based on the literature (link below) Workfront can calculate percent complete based on either duration or planned hours. I've never tried it myself, but I wonder what would happen if you switched over to using planned hours. I believe this can now be done on a group by group basis, so to be safe you should probably just test it on a test group before unleashing it more widely.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/workfront/using/manage-work/tasks/task-information/project-p...

I personally have only ever seen one team task things this closely and they really went to the 9s on this -- every task had a start time and end time -- e.g. task 1 started at 9am and ended at 10am, all the way to task 8 starting at 4 and ending at 5. I can't tell you how well it worked because I didn't watch it but they were adamant they needed it so I let them continue to have it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Based on the literature (link below) Workfront can calculate percent complete based on either duration or planned hours. I've never tried it myself, but I wonder what would happen if you switched over to using planned hours. I believe this can now be done on a group by group basis, so to be safe you should probably just test it on a test group before unleashing it more widely.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/workfront/using/manage-work/tasks/task-information/project-p...

I personally have only ever seen one team task things this closely and they really went to the 9s on this -- every task had a start time and end time -- e.g. task 1 started at 9am and ended at 10am, all the way to task 8 starting at 4 and ending at 5. I can't tell you how well it worked because I didn't watch it but they were adamant they needed it so I let them continue to have it.

Level 3

I attempted the switch from duration to planned hours but it seems there are many projects with tasks that do not have any planned hours allotted to them, which is not ideal I know and I'm working to resolve that issue. However, switching it over to that we had many projects that were showing complete having not even been started because no hours planned, which was the same outcome as 0 day durations.

What I'm doing with the fs-1d may be correct in getting those task to align all on one day, I just wanted to be sure there wasn't some other 'easier' way I was overlooking.