Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Routing Rules based on User in a Request Queue

Level 2

Hi,

Is it possible to route to a specific topic or menu based on the user ID?

I have a custom request tool created by someone else and used by our sales team. Each sales person has a set list of accounts and the option of "other". I'd like to edit it so that a unique drop down menu customized to the specific sales person is displayed based on who's making the request.

And if the sales person is new, the form goes on to other areas.

I'm still a little new and I'm working from a request queue built by someone else so I'm trying to figure things out as I go, thanks for considering my post.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Routing rules only allow you to specify a user, job role or team and can't be dependent on anything in the form or who submits them.

One way to get around this would be to create multiple request queue topics by user and then have it route to that person. 

Example: 

• Person A Request > Routing rule to route to person A
  • Person B Request > Routing rule to route to person B

Other options could involve fusion if you purchased that. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Routing rules only allow you to specify a user, job role or team and can't be dependent on anything in the form or who submits them.

One way to get around this would be to create multiple request queue topics by user and then have it route to that person. 

Example: 

• Person A Request > Routing rule to route to person A
  • Person B Request > Routing rule to route to person B

Other options could involve fusion if you purchased that. 

Community Advisor

I'm trying to understand what the unique dropdown menu does.

Level 2

Sorry, I probably didn't explain my intentions well. In a situation where Account Manager A "owns" accounts 1-20, Account Manager B "owns" accounts 21-40, etc... I was hoping there would be a way for the system to recognize the account manager based on their login, and then show them their unique account listing. 

It looks like I have to make this a choice... which is fine, I was just looking for ways to simplify the form as much as possible. 

Community Advisor

sure, but I guess the question is: why do they need to see their unique account listing. Is it because they just need to let the receiving team know which account this request is for? Or does the selection of the account drive a particular action or set of actions?

Level 2

It's somewhat twofold, but ultimately your first assumption is correct, it is to ID the account for the receiving team. The Account Managers are only supposed to be requesting colleterial for their set accounts, anything beyond this requires a certain level of justification. Our hope was to use the request tool to somewhat drive compliance around this rule. 

Community Advisor

Would it be possible to use a typeahead field for this purpose? My thought is that if you don't already have something in the system representing the Account, you could create a portfolio called "Accounts" (or whatever).

You could maybe have a program for each sales rep that only they can see (or, only they and the receiving team can see).

Every account is represented by a workfront project and is shared with no one. Place each account in the sales rep's program, and now only they can see the project.

Create one project called Other, that everyone can see (share with all sales reps).

Create a project typeahead field and configure it to show only projects in the Accounts Portfolio. Each sales rep should only be able to see their list of projects in their program. Plus "Other".

In theory the receiving team should be able to see the answers. If not, or if the receiving team needs to manage the field in some way, then share all the sales rep programs with the receiving team so that they can see all the answers.

I haven't tested this out, but I think this is the easier way to get to a solution that can be updated on the fly without editing your custom form. As a bonus, if a sales rep account changes hands, you can just move the project into that rep's program. Sales reps can also use the Account Projects to keep info on each account (file uploads, updates, etc.) so that if they have to pass it off, the project has all the info.

Community Advisor

I wanted to add that if this field needs to drive requesters to a different area of the form, it might be just as easy to preface it with a question like "do you have an account or are you new" and the two answers would either show this typeahead field, or go to the next section -- so basically trying to set it up so that the only thing this field has to do is indicate which account this is for by using other fields to drive the form navigation. If that makes sense.

Level 2

Thank you for all the help, I really appreciate it!