Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Route issue from Request Queue to specific project, based on custom field value

Level 10

Hi WF Community,

We're looking to set up a request queue and custom form with custom fields. We want to route the issues submitted here to specific projects depending on the value in Field X. For example:

• If Field X value = ABC, route to Project A
  • If Field X value = DEF, route to Project B

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks.

Nick

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Nick,

It is not possible to route a request to a project based on a selection made in a custom field. Requests are routed to projects, or assigned people / teams / job roles via routing rules and unfortunately you can't associated a routing rule with a field on a custom form.

However what you can do is create queue topics and associate different routing rules with different topics. Queue topics appear as a drop down menu(s) at the top of your request form, and based on the selections made in these drop down menu's you can automatically route the request to different peope / teams / job roles or projects. Take a look at this article on Workfront One here for more information on queue topics.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Best Regards,

Rich.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Nick,

It is not possible to route a request to a project based on a selection made in a custom field. Requests are routed to projects, or assigned people / teams / job roles via routing rules and unfortunately you can't associated a routing rule with a field on a custom form.

However what you can do is create queue topics and associate different routing rules with different topics. Queue topics appear as a drop down menu(s) at the top of your request form, and based on the selections made in these drop down menu's you can automatically route the request to different peope / teams / job roles or projects. Take a look at this article on Workfront One here for more information on queue topics.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Best Regards,

Rich.

Level 5

Hi Nick, You can achieve this through Queue Topics, if I understand correctly. First, create a new project which is the Request Queue project. In the project, set up the Topic Group to be the main request type, and then set up the Queue Topics to have the options that will display as the second dropdown (ABC and DEF) - so Field X value is not needed in the custom form but rather becomes the Queue Topics. Set up the Routing Rules for each Queue Topic so that it routes to the assigned person or team, and you can set up the routing so that Queue Topic ABC routes to Project A and Queue Topic DEF routes to Project B.

Level 10

Thanks, Richard and Elena. I had stumbled upon Queue Topics and Topic Groups while researching options the last few days. What I didn't mention is that Field X, as noted in my post above, is a calculated field that creates a score based on values from other fields users fill out in the request queue form submission. Based on the score in Field X, that will determine if their request is Small, Medium, or Large, and will route to the appropriate project. The user won't know this (the size of their project) when filling out the fields, and thus, selecting a pre-defined topic group at the start won't serve as a viable method (the user would need to know if their request is sml/med/lrg and select that value in the topic group field). Regardless, since my above request isn't possible, we might have to work with queue topics/topic groups to figure out a bandaid solution.

Thanks again.

Nick

Level 10

Hi Nick,

I'm mulling over a way to meet this requirement using our UberCalc solution and want to confirm my assumptions.

Since the calculated score is only known after the Request is saved, if you were to build a report that then grouped such Requests by those scores, if you then periodically bulk moved them (e.g. all the Smalls to the "Small" route, etc.), would that effectively provide the right routing?

If so, UberCalc could then do so on button click, and or in the background on schedule (e.g. every night, or hour, etc.)

Regards,

Doug

Level 10

Hey Doug!

Yes, you are correct, in that we would bulk move projects after submission. I will note UberCalc as an option to the team, should they want complete automation (re: button click routing). Thanks for advising!

Level 3

We had a kind of similar situation, where we wanted to use a custom field to indicate the Approver. We are using Fusion to look for the requests with that field, use the name in the field to attach the correct Approval process. I made an Approval process for each of the names. There was no way to use a custom field without involving Fusion or some other 3rd party solution.

Level 10

Interesting...thanks for the insight, Mavis.