Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Revenue Types from Templates

Level 5

Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can help and make me feel less crazy. 😜

I have templates that our teams use to create projects. In the template, the tasks have "Revenue Type" marked as either "Not Billable" or "Role Hourly". The idea was that they should not be deciding which tasks are billable vs. non billable. I was thinking that when they create projects from the template where the tasks are already classified, it would automatically assign that revenue type to their newly created project, but this is not happening. Instead, all of their projects are created and tasks are showing with revenue type "Not Billable".

Is my thinking not accurate or is there a mystery setting somewhere that I need to enable to ensure that when new projects are created with the template, the revenue type that is identified on the template auto assigns to the projects?

Thanks so much for any help and insights. 😎

Erica

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Reply

Level 10

Hi Erica,

I think I understand the source of your confusion, and can offer a partial workaround.

Although on a Template the User Interface allows you to enter values on custom data, my understanding is that such entries do not then transfer as defaults to the Projects that are then created using those Templates ‚Äî only the Parameter level defaults (eg on a dropdown) then “kick in”.

What you could do instead is create a sample Project with those defaults filled in and then copy that sample (rather than using a Template); but you’d likely have to adjust some dates, and would lose the connection to and other advantages of using a Template.

Neither is perfect, but I would be interested to know which path seems least rocky for you, once you decide.

Regards,

Doug