Expand my Community achievements bar.

Resource Pools - best practices to suit upcoming resource management functionality

Level 10
Hi, Currently we have a single resource pool called 'Default Resource Pool'. We have never used the Capacity Planner etc due to some functionality issues regarding secondary roles, but that's another story and not worth getting into. I have read the following release notes: "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003216347">https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003216347 There seems to be quite a lot of changes coming regarding how resource pools are created and applied to users and projects. What is not really clear yet is how they will be used in the new resource management functionality re capacity planning, utilisation etc. I am really keen to get more out of the system in this regards, and would appreciate if someone can explain what some of the best practices will likely be. i.e.: How should you decide how divide up users into resource pools? What are the impacts of a user being in multiple resource pools? What are the impacts of a project having multiple resource pools assigned? How are users' multiple roles factored into capacity planning, availability etc Will we be able to assign resource pools within a template so that they are automatically applied when creating a project? Currently you cannot, and it is very hit and miss whether our users actually remember to do so (especially because it makes no difference with our current system usage). Thanks in advance.... Regards, David
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Reply

Level 10
I'm really interested in learning more about the best way to use them too (not just the technical how you assign them info). Seeing some of the screenshots for the new capacity planner, it looked like Resource Pools weren't even really required to use that. Does that mean that Resource Pools are just metadata to report on? Because we have a global instance of Workfront, we had to use Groups for our different business units and this means we don't have anything for departments in the tool. I'm hoping we can use the resource pools help with that but we can't do that if have to add every department on to that project. I also agree a lot with the idea of putting resource pools on the template.It is very hit or miss with us and I actually have a report that I run every Tuesday and Friday to just bulk edit attach one so they can use the reports with have that use the Resource Estimate object type.