Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Resource Available Hours Report

Level 1
Hi all, I'm trying to figure out how to set the work hours for resources at our company, i.e. 40 hours would be our standard work week, with some people working less due to being part-time. I then need to generate a report from Workfront that shows the hours a person had available to work for the month (which would be their work hours minus any leave they took). Currently, I'm resorting to looking at people's submitted timesheets and manually counting the days they worked, and the days they've taken as leave. I'd like to provide a report to our exec body to show what kind of percentage employees spent on projects as a proportion of their available working hours. This sounds like a fairly straight-forward thing to track but I'm not having much luck figuring out where the working hours are specified. Hope someone can help with this. Cheers. Anoop Varma Litmos ANZ
10 Replies

Level 10
Hi Anoop, The Resource Planner should be able to give you what you want. It shows you the available hours (work hours minus leave hours), and also shows the planned hours and percentage planned. You can look at values on a weekly, monthly or quarterly level. Just make sure you choose to view by User (rather than projects or roles). The planned is pretty limited in terms of how it displays the data but it's a good starting point. I use this to export the available hours for our resources and then do a lot more detailed reporting in Power BI. Regards, David Cornwell

Level 2
Hi, I have also been struggling to find something similar within Workfront. The Legacy Resource Planning is the closest thing I could find, but it doesn't seem to be working well in my Instance and from my understanding being replaced by the Utilization report (which doesn't do "%"). I agree it seems something of a simply ask and love would to hear if others within the community have had any luck. Thanks... Harprit Sanghera

Level 6
Hi I agree that the Resource Planner is a great way to view availability for work. Because we are using WF to manage both BAU and Project work we needed a way to show availability for just project work. After seeking advice from the WF community we are trialling having BAU plans with year long tasks that show each person's BAU % commitment in hours. When viewed in the Resource Planner by User the Difference indicates available time for project work. It's important to also ensure everyone puts their planned absence into WF so this removes this from their availability. Hope this helps. All the best Jane Jane Bradshaw BAKKAVOR LTD

Level 4
Jane, Can you please explain what BAU% is? What you described sounds similar to our team structure. We've created various calendar schedules to reflect a team members availability to work on projects. If they have 2 hours of non-project work each day then they are assigned to a 6 hour workday schedule. This way we don't have to create long term project tasks to track non-project work hours. Dave Barry Dawn Foods

Level 6
Hi Dave Majority of people working in our IT Department have some availability for project work over and above their business as usual (BAU). In readiness for 2019 as part of our Ops Planning we will be trialling each team having a BAU plan whereby their BAU % commitment, i.e. the amount of time they need to spend on 'keeping the lights on' is locked down. The different teams across the department have differing requirements as to how much they want to manage their BAU tasks in WF. We are therefore starting by giving everyone a consistent template with one task that shows the total BAU hours for the year (with a fixed task constraint). They will then have a number of other tasks that they can tailor with zero hours but these will appear in their timesheets so that actual time can be recorded against them. Some teams want to put hours against these, which is fine, as long as the hours against the BAU pot are deducted. Some teams don't want to have to manage their BAU tasks to this degree which is also fine. The result is that, when the users are viewed in the Resource Planner, it gives us visibility of their availability for project work as this will show in the 'DIF' field. It will also be essential that time off is consistently entered. I'll let you know how we get on :-) Best regards Jane Jane Bradshaw BAKKAVOR LTD

Level 1
Hi all, It's taken a while for me to come back to this, but thanks for your suggestions David and Jane. Unfortunately, the Resource Planner doesn't show for me at all? I'm a System Administrator but the "Planning" tab doesn't appear for me. Anyone know why?

Level 10
That's weird....I thought it might have been related to Layout Templates or Access Levels, but I can't see any way to restrict what you see on the People tab. Perhaps I'm missing something really simple.... If nobody else knows, please check with support and let us know the result. David Cornwell

Community Advisor
If you aren't listed as a resource manager on projects, you won't have access to that planning or scheduling tab. Monique Evans Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.

Level 10
It doesn't matter if you're listed as resource manager on project or not. You still should be able to see tabs for Legacy and New Planning. You're an admin so you should be seeing everything anyway. I just logged as one of our planned license user and they can see both tabs. It just wo'tt show any data in Resource Scheduling if they're not Resource Manager. I think you should raise a ticket with Workfront Support.. Dagmara Garwell BAKKAVOR LTD

Level 1
Thanks Dagmara, I've done just that and opened a Support ticket.