Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Request forms - Customizing dropdown content based on logic

Level 2
Hello, I know I can show different dropdowns fields, based on logic from previously selected criteria, however, I'd like to vary the content of one dropdown, so I'm using one field, instead of multiples. Basically setting the login at the choice level, rather than the filed level. i.e Dropdown that contains 10 options, and depending on previous dropdown choice, I want to be able to show 5 of those for one option, a different combination of 5 for another, 6 for another, and 7 for the last. Thanks! Chris Chris Perrin
16 Replies

Level 8
I don't believe you can. I think you'll have to go the first option of multiple drop-downs and display logic from the 'parent' drop-down. You can end it with a calculated field that simply says IF (DropDown1='A', DropDownA, IF (DropDown1='B', DropDownB, IF (Dropdown1='C', DropDownC))) and then display that in reports and views so that you only have one column that consistently shows the end result regardless. You just can't edit that field directly and will have to select the item and choose 'edit' to change it. Barry Buchanan - WMA Work Management Australia

Level 2
That's what I thought, but figured I'd ask to see if there was something I was missing. That's too bad. Would love to see that option in the future. Thanks, Barry! Chris Perrin

Level 10
Just a +1 to Barry's comment. I've heard them called, and use the same terminology, varyingly "cascading fields" or "hierarchical fields." WF doesn't support those, though there are a number of Idea Exchange entries asking for this sort of functionality. In my case, it got messy fast because in one instance we have five-level deep cascade and the possible combinations would have created thousands of fields using the above technique. This was impractical, so we had to eliminate the 5th-level of the cascade and combine the 4th level with the 3rd and then use text calculations to take them apart later for reporting Ugly, ugly hack and our users were very disappointed. It's also a messy solution if the choices in the varying field dropdowns change, which means adding/changing fields and display logic and changing any calculations in reports. Some fairly complicated busywork ongoing for myself and my co-admin. :-( Kevin Quosig

Level 2
Thanks, Kevin! Yep, as I was mapping out my thoughts on how to put this together using multiple fields, the number fields needed became a bit overwhelming quite quickly. From my standpoint (and many I work with), this would be a game changer for WorkFront. Hopefully it's something we can see at some point. I appreciate the feedback, and confirming my thoughts. Chris Perrin

Level 9
I would love to see this functionality as well. I'll have to search in the Idea Exchange and upvote whatever I find on this topic. Anthony Pernice Healthcare Consultancy Group

Level 8
Is it possible for Workfront to combine those 3 ideas since they're all asking for the same thing and put the sum of all votes on one? I upvoted all 3 either way. Kirsten Heikkinen Trek Bicycle Corporation

Level 10
I wonder that too when I find "variations on a theme" in Idea Exchange. I created mine when I couldn't originally find the other two (blundered onto those later). Kevin Quosig

Level 9
Thanks for the links @Kevin Quosig - upvoted! @Kirsten Heikkinen - I've seen them do just that in the past, though I'm not sure who to address that kind of request to. Anthony Pernice Healthcare Consultancy Group

Level 10
Definitely upvoting this/these!! It is surprising to me as well that its not already available. Katherine Haven, PMP VP, Director, Business Technologies - PMO FCB

Level 10
Upvoted! And yeah hopefully someone from WF is watching and can combine the 3, which would boost it up the leaderboard significantly.

Level 2
Glad I put this out there. My company is new to WF, and I don't have access to the Idea Exchange yet, so thanks for all the upvotes. As soon as I get access I'll be doing the same. Chris Perrin

Level 8
Here's another duplicate idea I found in the mix (in case Workfront is watching and plans to combine all the votes :)) https://experience.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000PSchAAG/detail Kirsten Heikkinen Trek Bicycle Corporation

Level 5
Hi All, Thanks for highlighting these specific duplicates in the idea exchange. We just combined these duplicate ideas and combined the votes. Look for a response from the product team within 30 days. Thanks! Josh Boston Workfront

Level 10
Hey Josh, Can we get the link to the merged version? Kevin Quosig

Level 5
The main idea with all of the duplicates ideas merged is https://experience.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000PSCSAA4/detail You can see the list of merged ideas in the Merged Ideas tab on this idea. Josh Boston Workfront