Expand my Community achievements bar.

Defaults for Task Start Times?

Level 2
Hey all, We've noticed that when you select a planned start date for a task, it automatically assigns a time of 9:00 am along with the date. If we start progress on the task on that date, but it's after 9 am, it marks the task as starting late (even though it was started on the planned date). Question: Does anyone know how to globally adjust task start date times to default to a different time (example: 11:59 pm) or turn off tracking by time and just track via the date itself. Also, just a side note, it also assigns 5 pm to our due dates. So I'd love to adjust both times to be the latest as possible each day or ignore times altogether. This would be tremendously helpful since we don't track dates down to hours or minutes in our project plans, but rather by days in general. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks, Albert Albert Poulson, PMP Enterprise Project Manager HealthEquity 15 W. Scenic Pointe Drive, Ste 100 Draper, UT 84020
6 Replies

Level 1
We have a similar issue. In our case tasks are starting at noon and ending at 11:59 AM. We also looking for a similar solution, totally turn off the hours and only work on duration (also tasks should start at 12.00 AM and end at 11:59 PM) Thanks, Vara. Prasad Undavalli ADP-HR

Level 3
Hey Albert, The times for tasks' start dates and due dates are determined by the timesheet profile. This can be found in setup. I'm not an expert on this subject but I believe 9 to 5 is the default, so you can change your workdays in the timesheet to be longer for the due date issue. Keep in mind if you do this it may affect hour tracking since this defines how many work hours are in a day. I'm unaware in how many ways stretching a day out will affect things as I only had to slightly adjust our times. Thanks, Parker Cantu MultiView

Level 8
You can choose your schedule per-project, too. So if you wanted to only apply the task start/end times to some projects, you can specify that in the project settings. Kirsten Heikkinen Trek Bicycle Corporation

Level 10
This is a good question and I would like to add my question to Albert's question. It used to be that the default time it would set was the same as the time I was creating the project from the template. Recently it is defaulting to 5:00 PM (I work from Completion Date not Start Date) but sometimes, seemingly randomly, it will put it in as 2:45 PM or some such thing. I can't figure out what is controlling this. Anybody know?

Level 2
Thanks Parker. To your point, I don't want to affect the actual work days as they really are 9-5 in general. However, since I'm only tracking to the day and not the hour for tasks, I'd like the times to start and complete atask to be as late as possible each day... so it doesn't show up late if I start/complete on the planned day. As you suggest, I will see if I can figure something out the timesheet profiles. Thanks for all your help! Albert Poulson, PMP Enterprise Project Manager HealthEquity 15 W. Scenic Pointe Drive, Ste 100 Draper, UT 84020

Level 7
Hi Albert, A few things can cause this. I'd recommend contacting our support team so that we can walk through your specific example. In general, this is how Workfront's system operates: When you create a project, and you're scheduling from the project's start date, you'll choose the start date and time that you want the project to start at. You also have a schedule that gets assigned to the project. If that schedule is 8-5 with a 1 hour lunch from 12-1, your project should default to 8am. If you choose 9am, that's going to throw a wrench into this. So you create your first task, set it to a 1 day duration. When you save it, it's now something like 1.14 days... why? Because your schedule is 8-5, and it starts at 9am (can't start earlier than your project.) So it's going 9-5 on day 1, and 8-9 on day 2. Now, this also has to take into account your "Typical Hours per Work Day" setting in Setup -> Project Preferences -> Projects. The default is 8. If you set it to 7, this is going to throw another wrench into this. Now you assign a user in the previous timezone. (Say your project is Central time, and your user is Mountain time.) That user has an 8am-5pm schedule based on Mountain time. This means that the 9am start time for the project, will match with the 8am schedule for that user. 1 day duration = 1 day. There are more scenarios, but that's the most common one I see. Good luck everyone and have a great weekend! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront