Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Report: Count of Tasks worked on in the last month

Level 9

Hello,

I am trying around for hours now and I do not find a way to solve this:

I need to report the amount of tasks a specific group of users worked on in the last month.

The users all have a specific domain in their email address.

As there are fields lastUpdateDate and lastUpdatedBy, my first idea was to filter on those fields like this

lastUpdateDate=2024-03-31T12:00:00:000
lastUpdatedDate_Mod=gt
lastUpdatedBy:emailAddr=@example.com
lastUpdatedBy:emailAddr_Mod=contains

Unfortunately this approach does not make sense, as if e.g. a new task is created on a project and moved to the top, all other tasks in this project are updated as well (field taskNumber).

So I thought about using a Journal report with a filter like this:

editedBy:emailAddr=@example.com
editedBy:emailAddr_Mod=contains
entryDate=2024-03-31T23:59:59:000
entryDate_Mod=gt
objObjCode=TASK
objObjCode_Mod=eq

and this kind of grouping:

group.0.groupdatesby=MY
group.0.valuefield=entryDate
group.0.notime=false
group.0.valueformat=atDateAsMonthString
group.0.namekey=entryDate
group.0.linkedname=direct

The problem here is, that I do not have any idea on how to count the distinct / unique tasks, but not the journal entries, as a task can appear multiple times in the journal.

So, I tried again with the task report, but here I cannot use a filter like

journalEntries:editedBy:emailAddr=@example.com
journalEntries:editedBy:emailAddr_Mod=contains

I hope there is any possibility to report this.

Thanks in advance for any hints!

Regards

Lars 

7 Replies

Level 10

Hi @lgaertner,

Perhaps this DCNT post will give you some ideas -- good luck.

Regards,

Doug 

Hello Doug,

thanks for the link to that post. That helped, but unfortunately not completely yet...

I do get the distinct counted number, but I would like to use that in a bar chart, which shows the tasks worked on for each month at the end. But I am quite sure, that this is not possible...

Do without the chart and only work with the list view does not work as well, as for april I already do have more than 2000 entries (all in all), what leads to the fact, that the group for may is not shown on the first page. Even if I use the text mode

iscollapsed = true 

for my grouping.

Regards

Lars

That's unfortunate @lgaertner,

Sounds like you've hit a limit of the As Designed native reporting (it eventually happens...), so I invite you to consider our Magic Reports solution, which we can tailor to your exact specification, with no such limits, including graphics, run in real time directly from within Workfront.

Regards,

Doug

Thanks Doug,

I already had a solution using "my own way", but for this case I needed a native approach...

Hmm... It was worth a try.

Regards

Lars

Community Advisor

I can't really picture what you're trying to do, but I tried your last filter, and it gave me the type of error I normally associate with "too many hops" -- red text error.

You can find out more about too many hops by searching the community like this:

https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/GlobalSearch#q=%22too%20many%20... 

The usual solution for a "too many hops" kind of error is to use an exists statement instead of a collections filter. Your collections filter would translate into this sort of exists statement:

EXISTS:a:$$OBJCODE=JRNLE
EXISTS:a:taskID=FIELD:ID

EXISTS:a:editedBy:emailAddr=@example.com
EXISTS:a:editedBy:emailAddr_Mod=cicontains

I hope this helps you get closer to what you need.... whatever that is!!

Level 9

Hello Skye,

thanks a lot for this hint. Now the report does not run into an error any more, but the result count is far away from what I counted using the API directly or the other reporting approach using a Journal report.

My head is pounding after a long day at work, so I'm going to try again tomorrow with fresh energy.

Regards

Lars

Community Advisor

Good luck! I will be interested to hear what you come up with.

I ran a few searches in my system and the filter appears to work (I pulled up the tasks that were updated this week in both a journal report and the same results were in a task report (much fewer tasks than journal entries because there were multiple journal entries per task)). 

Of course, the results of the search might still not be what you're looking for, but they are definitely pulling up what I specified in the filter for my environment.