Expand my Community achievements bar.

Reporting Question for Projects that contain a Specific Task

Level 2

I am looking for text mode filtering that will allow me to pull a project report for all projects containing a specific task. Specifically, 

- Pull all projects that have a task id which contains "wireframe"

- I can't pull a project report and filter by task name because I want to account for all the tasks and assignments in those projects that contain a wireframe task

- I'd like to pull a report for completed projects and a report for current projects

Thank you,
Brenda

11 Replies

Level 3

Thinking you can pull a task report, filter to name contains "wireframe", add a Project:Name column, and group on that project name. You could add a grouping for status on top of that as well to separate your completed and current projects.

If that does not work, can you explain what is the intended outcome or result for this report?

Level 2

Thank you; however, that will not work because I need to be able to see and chart everyone assigned to a project that has a wireframe task in it. Not just those assigned to the wireframe task. In other words, there may be 20 other tasks besides the wireframe task in a single projects and I need to be able to see who is assigned to each of them. Hope that helps. 

Employee Advisor

@BrendaDB Are you utilizing templates for your projects? If so, you could create a Task Report that filters for projects with those templates attached (those with the wireframe task associated). That way, you can still see all tasks within that project and the assigned users, but only the projects with the wireframe tasks are visible. 

Level 2

Unfortunately, that will not always work either, but may be the way I have to go since that was my initial thought as well and can't seem to come up with anything else. Sometimes a template will not need the wireframe task and sometimes it will. I was really hoping there was some text mode I could use in the filters. Something along the lines of an if/then statement. For example, if there are wireframing tasks in the project, then include said project in the report. 

Employee Advisor

There isn't a way to utilize calculated expressions (IF statements) in text mode filters, so if there is a way to find a common ground using fields, that would be ideal! 

Level 2

I understand, I was just trying to explain what I was looking for.
Thanks

Community Advisor

I'm a bit confused by your question since you say you need a project report but then want to account for all the tasks and assignments, so like Daniel, I think you need to stay with a task report, with an exists filter that will pull in only project tasks if the projects have a wireframe task.

For example, this would possibly work (although you should exercise caution on any "personal projects" since personal tasks don't tend to report very well, and I haven't accounted for it in the sample code below)

EXISTS:a:$$OBJCODE=PROJ
EXISTS:a:ID=FIELD:projectID
EXISTS:a:tasks:name=wireframe
EXISTS:a:tasks:name_Mod=cicontains

Level 2

You are correct, I only want to pull in projects that have a wireframe task in it and I understand I need a task report. My issue is trying to pull in/account for assignments for the other tasks within the projects that have a wireframe task.

Level 2

And to add in a little more complexity, I only want to pull in assignments for 3 specific designers. I may just have to go the route of reporting on templates with the understanding it won't be 100% accurate, because I'm beginning to think this is not a report Workfront has the ability to pull. Thanks everyone for your assistance. 

Community Advisor

not sure what you mean by this, as the assignments for 3 specific designers is the easiest part of the filter.

You would just add two more lines to the filter I gave you above:

assignmentsUsersMM:ID=ABC XYZ DEF
assignmentsUsersMM:ID_Mod=in

(tabs between the ABX, XYZ and DEF parts)

In fact, I would usually do this part in standard mode (select Assignment Users Name = ) before switching to text mode to work on the exists filter. So altogether, this would be a task report filtering for 3 specific users' assignments in projects where there is a wireframe task.

Level 2

Disregard, not sure what I did incorrect the first time I ran it, but I believe it is working. Thank you very much!