Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Report: tasks that are not on a project you own

Level 1
Level 1

We'd like to build a report that shows the collaboration across projects. Therefore, I'd like to report on tasks that are assigned to people in the group that are not on a project the individual owns. The logic is something like: "show a report of all tasks assigned to each person, but only if the task is not on a project owned by the person". I need the report to show everyone's tasks together in one report, so using the variable of the person currently logged in to exclude the tasks for that person's view won't work. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Nice meeting you today!

After discussing, we agreed that $$USER.ID isn't what you'll want in your case if you still want visibility over what everyone has assigned. That is a good option otherwise.
We decided to create you a task report grouped by project owner, and then you can see everyone's assignments in all the groupings where they're NOT the project owner (and for large teams, can use the in-report search to look into specific names to see # of tasks across groupings easily).

Good luck!

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

Since you want the tasks not including those in a project someone owns, you will need to us project owner not equal $$USER.ID in there I'd think. You can have assignments filtered in of the group or people you want to pull and another filter of project owner not equal $$USER.ID. If you want to stay away from $$USER.ID, you could have a grouping in your task report of Project Owner if you want the users to see everything but only look at report groupings of those projects they don't own...

You could also pull in everything on default and have a report filter option shared with the users (so in addition to Report Default option) of  basically 'project owner not me'...

Level 1
Level 1

Thank you so much for those options. I'm new to WF reporting, so let me see if I understand. The options provided above seem to be connected to the user logged in. So these are reports that would inform an individual.. .am I understanding that correctly? What I was hoping for was to run a report on my team showing the cross-utilization of team members on other member's projects. So, I wouldn't want it to switch up according to who is logged in but rather show a cumulative report I can share out. We work in two ways: 1) people have projects and assign themselves tasks on those projects, and 2) people have projects and assign out a task in their project to someone else on the team for help. I was hoping to report on that last one to show how the team is collaborating. Would that still align with the suggestions or would that be a different direction? Thank you again!

Community Advisor

$$USER.ID is associated with an individual, yes. So if Person A wants to see this report but see all tasks where he/she is NOT the project owner, that's where something like $$USER.ID is helpful bc Person A sees what's relevant to them, Person B would only see tasks in projects he/she doesn't own when viewing same report, etc. 

If you want to show everyone's tasks regardless of project owner on default, then you can pull in the whole team or those you want to include and have a report column or a report grouping with the project owner. You could also add a filter for project they don't own if they wanted to apply that, but not in report default.

If you'd like to sync over a screenshare, I can help you so I can better understand what you need. Feel free to send me a private message : )

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Nice meeting you today!

After discussing, we agreed that $$USER.ID isn't what you'll want in your case if you still want visibility over what everyone has assigned. That is a good option otherwise.
We decided to create you a task report grouped by project owner, and then you can see everyone's assignments in all the groupings where they're NOT the project owner (and for large teams, can use the in-report search to look into specific names to see # of tasks across groupings easily).

Good luck!

Level 1
Level 1

Thank you so much for all your help and the master class in reporting! You went above and beyond. I truly appreciate it.

Community Advisor

No problem! Reach out anytime! I understand the pains of taking over an instance.