Expand my Community achievements bar.

Report on Topic Group with multiple levels?

Level 2

Is it possible to report on request queues that have multiple levels of Topic Groups? If so, how do you identify each individual level? Any help is appreciated

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

8 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @Kasey-Gagne - Are you trying to report on the request queue as a whole? If so, you could just pull in Project > ID = "Request Queue Name" and see everything. Other than that, there isn't really a way to report on Topic Group, but rather you can mostly report on Queue Topic > ID. Other options, depending on if the requests/issues in the topic group have the same custom form, you could report on Category > ID instead too. 

Level 2

Thanks Victoria! 

As some background, we currently have ~10 individual request queues and have found it's become really messy getting people to fill out the correct form - so we are in the midst of merging them all into 1 request queue utilizing many levels of Topic Groups / Queue Topics. 

Before getting too far down the rabbit hole, I'm trying to think of the best way that we are going to be able to report on these different request types as they are submitted since that will be a massive part of the end goal. 

I thought about utilizing the Category ID, however, we do have a few different queues that utilize the same form that we want to differentiate

Below is my best attempt to outline the direction we're going (with many more layers added to this example).. The hope is to be able to build out a chart that shows how many requests come in at the Topic Group 1 level then be able to do the same for the additional levels. I believe we have 4 Topic Group levels at most. 

Marketing Request Form (Request Queue)

• I am a loan officer (Topic Group 1)
    • Event Request (Topic Group 2)
      • Company Name A (Topic Group 3)
      • Company Name B (Topic Group 3)
    • Headshot Request (Topic Group 2)
    • Promo Request (Topic Group 2)
  • I am a corporate employee (Topic Group 1)
    • Headshot Request (Topic Group 2)
    • Promo Request (Topic Group 2)

Community Advisor

if you need that level of specificity, probably best to start with a queue topic report. Each level of topic group would then be its own column. And you would make as many columns as we need.

Level 2

Thanks Skye! With that method, would it be possible to build out a chart that would display the number of requests coming in for each Topic Group?

Below is my best attempt to outline the direction we're going (with many more layers added to this example).. The hope is to be able to build out a chart that shows how many requests come in at the Topic Group 1 level then be able to do the same for the additional levels. I believe we have 4 Topic Group levels at most. 

Marketing Request Form (Request Queue)

• I am a loan officer (Topic Group 1)
      • Company Name A (Topic Group 3)
    • Headshot Request (Topic Group 2)
    • Promo Request (Topic Group 2)
  • I am a corporate employee (Topic Group 1)
    • Headshot Request (Topic Group 2)
    • Promo Request (Topic Group 2)

Community Advisor

For this you would be starting off with an issue report and grouping by the different levels of topic groups. Similar concept, but a bit more difficult, and also produces unwanted results if all your queues have different numbers of levels.

You might find better value out of reporting on the request path (add the request path as a column in your issue report)... this would be the fastest but would result in you taking it into excel for more massaging.

Level 2

Thanks Skye! I guess my question is how do I go about grouping by the different levels of topic groups? I can only seem to pull the the Queue Topic name, I am assuming there is some text mode that will need to be utilized to accomplish this? 

To avoid the unwanted results of the different numbers of levels, I was thinking of inserting default value(s), to even out the levels, if that makes sense... Or maybe it would be best to create some calculated fields that will pull the Topic Groups and build the reports using those fields instead where we can filter out the results we do not want to include.. (sorry thinking out loud here..)

I like the request path idea as well, however I'm trying to avoid excel as much as possible to be able to display this on a dashboard. 

Community Advisor

I think potentially, since your end goal is a CHART, calculated fields would be the better option for you to go in. Grouping text mode is not going to result in a chart at all. Please refer to the API explorer's reference tabs in order to get what you need for calculated field expressions. In brief:

0) Go to the Issue object in the API explorer, and click on the reference tab. [ISSUE]

1) Click on the queue topic dropdown and click on the link to go to the queue topic. Click on the queue topic's reference tab. [QUEUE TOPIC]

2) Click on the Parent Topic Group dropdown and click on the link to go to the parent topic group. Observe you can get the name from here. [TOPIC GROUP]

Here's how this plays out.

0) You have an ISSUE form.

1) Your calculated field starts with Queue Topic

2) From this, you reference the parent Topic Group, and get the name.

A sample calculated field would look like this: 

{queueTopic}.{parentTopicGroup}.{name}

I haven't tried, but potentially you would just keep going (as long as the calculated field functionality allows for this), to get the parent's parent, and parent's parent's parent in the same way.

Level 2

Thank you, I'm going to give this a try and will report back!!