Expand my Community achievements bar.

report on tagged updates?

Level 10
I don't think there's any way to flag an update other than by responding to it with something that you can search on, like hashtags. "https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=2209ee74-8c6f-456f-92e7-a9b45f5175b5&CommunityKey=aaafaff0-5e4e-4e38-8903-f1f990935567&tab=digestviewer#bm2209ee74-8c6f-456f-92e7-a9b45f5175b5" https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=2209ee... People periodically ask about stuff like this and my pushback is that updates aren't really where you leave directions about the task: those need to go back into either the task description or custom form field. I'm not sure if that's an option since I don't know your users and setup, but that's the ideal solution since any time some question comes up regarding the outcome of a task, I wouldn't want someone going through their updates looking for the historical record of how something came to be that way. If there's critical data, can the person creating the update, or the assigned user, use a task custom form field to update the new direction? Our project owners have a sort of journal entry field where they can date and describe direction changes for future reference, for example. -skye
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

15 Replies

Level 10
Hi Skye, With the release in July, you'll be able to filter on collections. https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000586214-Referencing-Collections-in-a-Report Until then, I don't see how you'd be able to do this. --Narayan

Level 1

Hi Skye, Here's the text code you should use in a note type report to get the names of the tagged users:

displayname=Note Tag Name listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(tags).lists textmode=true type=iterate valuefield=user:name valueformat=HTML

Anna Khachatryan Workfront Customer Support 

Level 1

And for filter, here you go: 

tags:userID=5763e84100118a65465e7681d2d7ffc9 tags:userID_Mod=in

Make sure to replace the ID with the relevant user you want to isolate the tagged comments by. Hope this helps Anna Khachatryan Workfront

Level 10
@Anna Khachatryan you're amazing. Thank you so much for the fast response. The report works. :) -skye

Level 1
Cool, I'm happy this helped ;) Anna Khachatryan Workfront

Level 4

I recently had a user want to go one step further and see the notes in the thread in which a user is tagged. So I'm tagged in Note 2, so I want to see that thread of 8 notes. Notes tagged to the current user and the other notes in the thread

EXISTS:a:$$EXISTSMOD=EXISTS EXISTS:a:$$OBJCODE=NTAG EXISTS:a:note:threadID=FIELD:threadID EXISTS:a:userID=$$USER.ID

This would be used on a Notes report. -- Melinda Layten, Senior Consultant Work Management Improvement CapabilitySource - 2018 Workfront Services Partner of the Year Phone: (484) 505-6855 site: www.capabilitysource.com email: melinda.layten@capabilitysource.com - we simplify your work so you can run your business -

Level 10
thanks @Melinda Layten , this is great! I ended up grouping it by thread ID to keep the conversations together but then I get this report with a bunch of thread IDs (random character strings). It's definitely workable, but is there a more elegant way of grouping that I missed? -skye

Level 4

I used this:

group.0.descriptionkey=source group.0.namekey=source group.0.valuefield=sourceName group.0.valueformat=HTML textmode=true

That groups it by the object the thread is on. If you have several threads together on the same object they would be mixed together. You may be able to do a valueexpression with sourceName and like the last character or two of the thread ID if you have a lot of multithreading?? You'll also want to make sure the report is in ascending order by date to display the threads correctly. -- Melinda Layten, Senior Consultant Work Management Improvement Enterprise Integration CapabilitySource - 2018 Workfront Services Implementation Partner of the Year Phone: (484) 505-6855 site: www.capabilitysource.com email: melinda.layten@capabilitysource.com - we simplify your work so you can run your business -

Level 9
This is a great thread! I have a user that's having trouble following what to do when there's multiple items due on a task. She is looking for an option to 'flag' an update - similar to how you would add a 'flag' in Outlook to follow-up. I can't seem to figure out a way to add that type of field (or custom field) based on something the user can inline edit. If it's by project, it will flag all the updates. It can't be by task - you can't inline edit. Has anyone ever come up with something like this? Christina Jarosz | Ascensus, LLC | Marketing & Communications

Community Advisor
I don't think there's any way to flag an update other than by responding to it with something that you can search on, like hashtags. "https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=2209ee74-8c6f-456f-92e7-a9b45f5175b5&CommunityKey=aaafaff0-5e4e-4e38-8903-f1f990935567&tab=digestviewer#bm2209ee74-8c6f-456f-92e7-a9b45f5175b5" https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=2209ee... People periodically ask about stuff like this and my pushback is that updates aren't really where you leave directions about the task: those need to go back into either the task description or custom form field. I'm not sure if that's an option since I don't know your users and setup, but that's the ideal solution since any time some question comes up regarding the outcome of a task, I wouldn't want someone going through their updates looking for the historical record of how something came to be that way. If there's critical data, can the person creating the update, or the assigned user, use a task custom form field to update the new direction? Our project owners have a sort of journal entry field where they can date and describe direction changes for future reference, for example. -skye

Level 9
Thanks Skye. We're not looking to make any edits per se to the update - not add comment or information. Just literally add a flag or something of that sort that can be sorted. She's getting so many updates from being tagged in items, that its getting difficult for her to follow what she needs to do since some of these things are about the tasks she already has on her task or Home list. I thought perhaps by adding a date field, she can input today's date and it will sort based on that field being populated. But I can't seem to see how to do that, either. Christina Jarosz | Ascensus, LLC | Marketing & Communications

Level 10
You can inline edit a task if given the right permissions. The way I do it is add the people who need the most access to a "PM Team", and give the Team "Manage" access via sharing the project.

Community Advisor
hi Christina, I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean by adding a date (maybe to the update?). Regardless, I want to be sure to mention that Narayan has an updates dashboard that might serve: your user can search specifically for updates in which they were tagged and on specific dates or date ranges. Maybe this gets close to what you're asking for? You can get to the WF Pro through his store (it's free) but here's a quick review on how it looks. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqIEE2o6v5M&feature=youtu.be&t=1887" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqIEE2o6v5M&feature=youtu.be&t=1887 -skye

Level 9
So - in Outlook - you can have multiple emails about the same subject. However, maybe only ONE do you need to take action on. You can 'flag' this one to add a visual flag to it that says 'Hey - I need to take action on this particular email'. That is what they are looking to do. So, if there are 10 comments related to one task they are assigned - they might not need to take any action on any of them but one. They would like to be able to 'flag' an update/notification (be it on a project, or a task, or a document....whatever object - they would like to flag that update. So they could, in theory, look at only the flagged updates out of 50+ updates for 13 tasks and know that they only have to take action on those. My thought - in the absence of being able to add a flag - would be to add a custom date field. So, if they were to populate a date in that field - they could sort it along the same way they'd sort a flag. Not ideal, but would do the trick. Right now they're getting lost in everything. And, since the updates function was no longer dependable last week they can't rely on getting an email notification each time. I did create a report that shows me all updates related to the current $$USER.ID grouped by received date for the past two week span. But again, it doesnt allow any kind of 'action' flag or in-line edit. I don't think it's possible. Christina Jarosz | Ascensus, LLC | Marketing & Communications

Community Advisor
ah, gotcha. Yes, that's correct, and why I said this might be a matter of coaching in terms of critical data being in a custom form, not in the updates. I'm so sorry. -skye