Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Report on Projects with resources that are overallocated?

Community Advisor

Anyone have ideas on how to create a report that shows a list of Projects which have resources over their allocation.

I've tried resource planner but can't filter it out to only see projects where resources are over allocated. Wondering if there is some text mode out there I could use?

Edit to clarify: this isn't to see what project is putting a user over their allocation or to even help with schedule. It's simply to flag a project as using a resource that doesn't have capacity so that leadership can be aware. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

After a lot of trials in reporting. This isn't really possible and we are going to stick with using data from Planner and exporting to excel to aggregate across projects. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi Kellie, this would be tricky. If you have a resource that is overallocated in a week from the culmination of 30 tasks, for example, not sure of a report to show you which of those tasks are putting that person over the edge of allocation, if they are all due in the same week then they all add up to that person being overallocated.
I recommend utilizing the Workload Balancer for that team or user to see what all is falling in the given week/month and be able to shift tasks from there as needed. If you need an actual report, you could try a matrix report pulling your team on the left, and their planned hrs by week on the right and can have a conditional rule of any planned hrs over X turns red to easily spot when someone is over-allocated (if your planned hours are accurate).

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Community Advisor

Thanks Madalyn. I should have clarified that this is for our executive leadership team so workload balancer wouldn't work here. It would need to be an actual report to flag a project as needing to be looked at due to resource constraints,. This way our leadership team could say hey - this project is a priority but we have limited resources and we need to get more to complete it.

Community Advisor

Got it. Like I mentioned in my initial response, not sure how you'd show in a report that XYZ projects are putting resources over the edge vs. ABC projects when they're all conflicting. It's may be a better route to pull all projects with their planned hours to show the hrs expected are beyond your capacity. Or you could do a matrix report of users/team names on the left, then the planned hours WoW or MoM on the right and have in red anything over X hrs to flag where they have too much allocated.

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 10

Hi Kellie,

This is one of those Surprisingly Difficult common questions: there are a lot of moving parts that go into calculating capacity and utilization, particularly when the idea of layering on the idea of prioritized work in order to see which projects are pushing certain roles (or people, or teams, or departments, etc.) beyond what is available.

Over the last few years, we've created over 20 ways to tackle such problems, among which I invite you to consider our Capacity Charts and Heatmap solutions, in particular as I think they best align with the requirements you've outlined.

Happy to chat further via doug.denhoed@atappstore.com

Regards,

Doug

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

After a lot of trials in reporting. This isn't really possible and we are going to stick with using data from Planner and exporting to excel to aggregate across projects.