Expand my Community achievements bar.

Redistribute planned effort for a user

Level 1
Hello, I have to resolve this situation. For example I have two tasks. The task number 1 is planned for 8 hours each day from 1 of July to 30 of July. At 15 of July the same user has to work for 4 hours for a task of another project (task number 2), but in this day the user is already planned (for 8 hours) to work at the task number 1. How I can stop the user to work at task number 1 and move from 1 day the task number 1? Because in the resource grid the user is overloaded in the 15 of July. In this case I need to set hight priority of task number 2 than the task number 1.
4 Replies

Level 10
Hi - the capabilities you seek are commonly found in something called a finite capacity planner. WorkFront is an infinite capacity planner. There are no constraints on resource assignment possible within WorkFront. The best I think you can do is look at the user utilization to identify the over-allocations, and then you choose the project (lower priority) and then adjust the task duration (to reduce the daily demand), adjust the hours assigned to the resource (to reduce the daily demand), or change the start date of the task (to push the demand out). You have to resource load level the old fashioned way. Let me know if this doesn't answer your question please. Thanks, Eric

Level 1
Hi Eric, thank you for your response. Today to resolve this case, I truncate the task number 1 in two parts, so I can exclude that the user can work in the 15 of July day at task number 1. I don't know if is the good way because the best way would be that workfront stops the user to work to the task number 1 automatically until the task number 2 is not completed. Then the user resumes to work to task number 1.

Level 10
{{Nicola}} You are right, it would be nice if WorkFront had some resource assignment constraints enforced. Maybe someday…

Level 1
Certainly would resolve my problem. Thank you Eric for your support. Best Regards, Nicola