Expand my Community achievements bar.

Calculated Field Giving Strange Results

Employee
Hello There, I have a custom calucated field that was giving incorrect results, so I tested it by creating another field to test it. I stripped out most of the calculations and am still getting the same results. Here is the orginal calculation: IF(IsBlank(Actual Completion Date),"",(Actual Hours*175)-Actual Revenue) My test calculation: PROD(Actual Hours,175) Both give the same result: $10415.00 -- The test project only has 1 actual hour, & $85 actual revenue. I have double cheched in mulitple browswers, thinking caching, but nope same results. Thoughts?? Thanks -- Laurel
9 Replies

Level 5
Actual hours actually stores minutes and formats to hours. So divide your answer by 60 and you will get the answer you are seeking. On Fri, Aug 26, 2016, 6:30 PM Laurel Pearson < globalforum@communitylists.workfront.com> wrote: > Hello There, > > I have a custom calucated field that was giving incorrect results, so I > tested it by creating another field to test it. I stripped out most of the > calculations and am still getting the same results. > > Here is the orginal calculation: > > IF(IsBlank(Actual Completion Date),"",(Actual Hours*175)-Actual Revenue) > > My test calculation: > > PROD(Actual Hours,175) > > Both give the same result: $10415.00 -- The test project only has 1 > actual hour, & $85 actual revenue. > > I have double cheched in mulitple browswers, thinking caching, but nope > same results. > > > > Thoughts?? > > Thanks -- Laurel > > -----End Original Message----- >

Employee

Thanks Melinda - I have tried /60 - results are the same. If you look at the calculations they are very different but the results are the same - that is the "strangeness" I am refering.

I am wanted to see if anyone out here has seen this before - Otherwise I will be putting in a ticket to Workfront.

Thank you -- laurel0690z000007ZkScAAK.png

Level 7
Hmm, how can the results be the same if you changed the formula? Are you sure you're pointing to the right form that contains that field? Is your formula now PROD(Actual Hours/60,175). When I do this, I get the right results.

Level 10
My vote is to put in a ticket. I have seen strangeness in how those calculations sometimes go. I am sure I’ve got at least one ticket open for problems with calculations. Thanks! Eric

Employee
Thank you - The trouble I am having is not with the calculation it's self but with the results - they are outputting the same results no matter what the calculations maybe. The results won't update when I change the calculations.

Level 7
So for clarification, are you saying that when your formula is PROD(Actual Hours,175), you get $10415.00, and if you change the formula to PROD(Actual Hours/60,175) you still get $10415.00? Have you tried removing and re-adding this custom field to the object you're testing with?

Level 10
Laurel, if you remove the formula, does the value clear out? If not (implying the recalc is not even happening), is the Project in a state that prevents it (e.g. On Hold)? If so, can you Burn Down the formula and build it up by trying these versions (and recalculating) in this order: Actual Hours Actual Hours / 60 (Actual Hours / 60) * 175 PROD(Actual Hours/60,175) Regards, Doug

Employee
Hi Doug, Yes I followed your line of thinking - I had a good result once. I have removed the fields/ added them back, simplified, created a new test field. Used different browsers. I am stumped. I did put a ticket in with WF - I will keep you posted on the outcome. Laurel